- to make out the meaning of (poor or partially obliterated writing, etc.): to decipher a hastily scribbled note.
- to discover the meaning of (anything obscure or difficult to trace or understand): to decipher hieroglyphics.
- to interpret by the use of a key, as something written in cipher: to decipher a secret message.
- Obsolete. to depict; portray.
Origin of decipher
Synonyms for decipher
Related Words for decipheredanalyze, elucidate, decode, deduce, unravel, solve, translate, interpret, expound, render, disentangle, read, explain, spell, reveal, break, cipher, unfold, crack, construe
Examples from the Web for deciphered
Contemporary Examples of deciphered
The abstract shapes and symbols were deciphered to read: “Forty feet below two million pounds are buried.”Treasure Hunt to Discover Oak Island’s Mysterious Booty
February 27, 2014
Historical Examples of deciphered
I like to think that a new reading of earth may be deciphered from this text.
Slowly and with difficulty I deciphered the words of this terrible denunciation.A Master of Mysteries
L. T. Meade
There are passages that can scarcely be deciphered and others blotted with tears.The Choice of Life
He has deciphered so many deceipts as amount to above 11,000.The Palace of Pleasure, Volume 1
For some time after I had deciphered the epistle, I stood as if rooted to the floor.Lavengro
- to determine the meaning of (something obscure or illegible)
- to convert from code into plain text; decode