- the fact or condition of being difficult.
- Often difficul·ties. an embarrassing situation, especially of financial affairs.
- a trouble or struggle.
- a cause of trouble, struggle, or embarrassment.
- a disagreement or dispute.
- reluctance; unwillingness.
- a demur; objection.
- something that is hard to do, understand, or surmount; an impediment or obstacle.
Origin of difficulty
Synonyms for difficultySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for difficultiespredicament, complication, dilemma, hardship, hazard, snag, obstacle, struggle, frustration, pain, trouble, deadlock, crisis, adversity, stress, anxiety, embarrassment, inconvenience, setback, strife
Examples from the Web for difficulties
Contemporary Examples of difficulties
Any difficulties we experience now are not as horrible as the constant fear of bombs.Where Chechens Go to Escape Their Surreal Past—and Risky Present
December 9, 2014
In July 2013, I questioned Cipriani about the difficulties had while trying to open Bomba.The Battle to Be King of Ibiza Nightlife
October 5, 2014
But despite all the difficulties, the Omrans consider themselves among the lucky ones.Beating Cancer & Dodging Israel's Bombs
September 1, 2014
“It all comes from the difficulties of working with Bjork on Dancer in the Dark,” said Skarsgard.Lars von Trier Breaks His Vow of Silence to Discuss ‘Nymphomaniac’ in Venice
September 1, 2014
New York took over as the epicenter of fashion due to the difficulties communicating with France during the war.How World Wars Made Females More Androgynous
July 22, 2014
Historical Examples of difficulties
She was not a woman in the habit of reasoning, and had no conception of the difficulties in his way.Brave and Bold
As a last rally, he tried to picture the difficulties he might encounter.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
But let me tell you something of Champollion's difficulties.
Lake Torrens was reached, and then the difficulties of the expedition began.Explorations in Australia
But this does not astonish us when we understand the difficulties which he was obliged to solve.
- the state or quality of being difficult
- a task, problem, etc, that is hard to deal with
- (often plural) a troublesome or embarrassing situation, esp a financial one
- a dispute or disagreement
- (often plural) an objection or obstaclehe always makes difficulties
- a trouble or source of trouble; worry
- lack of ease; awkwardnesshe could run only with difficulty