- Biology. the science of heredity, dealing with resemblances and differences of related organisms resulting from the interaction of their genes and the environment.
- the genetic properties and phenomena of an organism.
Origin of genetics
Related Words for geneticslineage, ancestry, genetics, horticulture, ecology, anatomy, cytology, phytology, pomology, taxonomy, morphology, pathology, physiology, division, dissection, medicine, analysis, investigation, examination, diagnosis
Examples from the Web for genetics
Contemporary Examples of genetics
Genetics alone does not an eating disorder make, generally speaking, and Bulik points out that environment still plays a role.How Skinny Is Too Skinny? Israel Bans ‘Underweight’ Models
January 8, 2015
Nature and nurture, genetics and family background all come into play.Inside the Mind of an ISIS Jihadi
September 21, 2014
“Keep in mind that our body shape is often determined by genetics,” says Dr. Ball.Waist Training: Can You Cinch Your Waist Thin?
July 18, 2014
Recent research has shown perfectionism to be an issue of genetics.Face It—We Rubes Will Never Live Like Gwyneth and Jennifer Aniston
July 2, 2014
Genetics, environmental factors, and other variables contribute to weight gain and eating disorders.Has ‘The Biggest Loser’ Gone Too Far?
February 8, 2014
Historical Examples of genetics
If, then, progress was to be made in Genetics, work of a different kind was required.Evolution in Modern Thought
It sprang from genetics and bears the mark of an implicit Darwinian mechanism.
The metaphors of genetics and evolutionary models can be applied.
I've been studying up on biology and genetics; talking to Chang got me interested.This Crowded Earth
Lindstrom of Iowa has led in research on the genetics of tomatoes, chromosome relations and mode of inheritance.The Tomato
- (functioning as singular) the branch of biology concerned with the study of heredity and variation in organisms
- the genetic features and constitution of a single organism, species, or group
Word Origin and History for genetics
- The branch of biology that deals with heredity, especially the mechanisms of hereditary transmission and the variation of inherited traits among similar or related organisms.
- The scientific study of the principles of heredity and the variation of inherited traits among related organisms.
The study of heredity, or how the characteristics of living things are transmitted from one generation to the next. Every living thing contains the genetic material that makes up DNA molecules. This material is passed on when organisms reproduce. The basic unit of heredity is the gene. (See chromosomes; dominant trait; genetic code; Gregor Mendel; recessive trait; and sexual reproduction.)