- the genetic makeup of an organism or group of organisms with reference to a single trait, set of traits, or an entire complex of traits.
- the sum total of genes transmitted from parent to offspring.
Origin of genotype
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the genetic constitution of an organism
- a group of organisms with the same genetic constitution
Word Origin and History for genotypes
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The genetic constitution of an organism or a group of organisms.
- A group or class of organisms having the same genetic constitution.
- The genetic makeup of an organism as distinguished from its physical characteristics. Compare phenotype.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.