- into the position desired; perfectly or to the greatest possible extent: sails sheeted home.
- in the proper, stowed position: The anchor is home.
- toward its vessel: to bring the anchor home.
verb (used without object), homed, hom·ing.
verb (used with object), homed, hom·ing.
- (of guided missiles, aircraft, etc.) to proceed, especially under control of an automatic aiming mechanism, toward a specified target, as a plane, missile, or location: The bomb homed in on the bridge.
- to direct one’s attention or energies toward: The committee quickly homed in on the relevant details.
VIDEO FOR HOME
WATCH NOW: What Are 5 Words To Describe The Silent Generation?
The Silent Generation is the generation born between 1925–1945. Here are the words they think describe their generation.
FOR LEXICAL ALIMENTATION, TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for home
- in one's own house or place of residence.
- in one's own town or country.
- prepared or willing to receive social visits: Tell him I'm not at home. We are always at home to her.
- in a situation familiar to one; at ease: She has a way of making everyone feel at home.
- well-informed; proficient: to be at home in the classics.
- played in one's hometown or on one's own grounds: The Yankees played two games at home and one away.
- assured of finishing, accomplishing, succeeding, etc.: If we can finish more than half the work today, we'll be home free.
- certain to be successfully finished, accomplished, secured, etc.: With most of the voters supporting it, the new law is home free.
Origin of home
synonym study for home
OTHER WORDS FROM homemin·i·home, noun
Words nearby home
Definition for home (2 of 2)
Example sentences from the Web for home
She was greeted by dozens of onlookers on the street outside the home.Election live updates: Trump returns to Wisconsin; Biden to face live audience at town hall|Colby Itkowitz, Felicia Sonmez, John Wagner|September 17, 2020|Washington Post
Moreno on Wednesday night told the Washington Blade that he is at his home and safe.Cuban authorities threaten to arrest LGBTQ activist, journalist|Michael K. Lavers|September 17, 2020|Washington Blade
We’re able to build the script in our own home by ourselves.
Streaming watch parties have outlasted states’ shelter-at-home orders.How the future of TV and streaming has – and hasn’t – been reshaped so far by 2020|Tim Peterson|September 16, 2020|Digiday
Harris did best in vote-rich New Castle County, winning 37 percent of the vote there, and ran strongest near Newark, home to the University of Delaware.
Meanwhile, almost exactly 30 years after the trial, the judge left his home to board a steamboat and was never heard from again.New York’s Most Tragic Ghost Loves Minimalist Swedish Fashion|Nina Strochlic|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
This reporter knocked at the Wilkins home on Tuesday morning but received neither an answer nor the business end of a shotgun.The 7-Year-Old Plane Crash Survivor’s Brutal Journey Through the Woods|James Higdon|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Expensive day care pushes women out of the labor market while men continue to work outside the home.
He is expected to spend the next few days closeted with lawyers and advisers at his home, Royal Lodge, in Windsor Great Park.
But Sarah Ferguson still lives in the family home, Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park, when she is in the U.K.
What if Uncle Josiah had forgotten his engagement, and was 332 not home?Captain Pott's Minister|Francis L. Cooper
Certainly he never again found himself so well satisfied, or so much at home.The Education of Henry Adams|Henry Adams
Perhaps he is stirred at the thought of fighting for "England, Home, and Beauty."Kitchener's Mob|James Norman Hall
Why, she cannot leave her home at any time, without being dogged by your spies.An Artist in Crime|Rodrigues Ottolengui
There was no one left at home that day but a girl fourteen years old and her four younger brothers.Once Upon A Time In Connecticut|Caroline Clifford Newton
British Dictionary definitions for home (1 of 2)
- a building or organization set up to care for orphans, the aged, etc
- an informal name for a mental home
- the objective towards which a player strives in certain sports
- an area where a player is safe from attack
- one of two positions of play nearest the opponents' goal
- a player assigned to such a positioninside home
- in one's own home or country
- at ease, as if at one's own home
- giving an informal party at one's own home
- British such a party
adjective (usually prenominal)
- to make clear to
- to place the blame on
Derived forms of homehomelike, adjective
Word Origin for home
British Dictionary definitions for home (2 of 2)
Idioms and Phrases with home
In addition to the idioms beginning with home
- home free
- home in on
- home run
- home truth
- at home
- bring home
- bring home the bacon
- chickens come home to roost
- close to home
Drive Homeeat someone out of house and homemake oneself at homenobody homenothing to write home abouttill the cows come home.