- to be emphatic, firm, or resolute on some matter of desire, demand, intention, etc.: He insists on checking every shipment.
- to lay emphasis in assertion: to insist on the justice of a claim.
- to dwell with earnestness or emphasis (usually followed by on or upon): to insist on a point in a discussion.
- to assert or maintain firmly: He insists that he saw the ghosts.
- to demand or persist in demanding: I insist that you see this thing through.
Origin of insist
Synonyms for insist
Related Words for insistscontend, urge, reiterate, repeat, request, maintain, assert, vow, demand, press, hold, swear, require, importune, asseverate, persist, aver
Examples from the Web for insists
Contemporary Examples of insists
Any plans to grow her exercise movement must, she insists, remain “completely organic.”How Taryn Toomey’s ‘The Class’ Became New York’s Latest Fitness Craze
January 9, 2015
Denied parole nine straight times, he insists he is innocent of the crime for which he was convicted.His First Day Out Of Jail After 40 Years: Adjusting To Life Outside
January 3, 2015
A fire that he insists is only picking up pace, according to top-secret intelligence briefings.ISIS Fight Has a Spy Shortage, Intel Chair Says
January 2, 2015
She insists, however, that she considers herself separate from victims of chronic abuse.Janay Rice: Ravens Fed Me Apology Script
Jack Holmes, The Daily Beast Video
December 1, 2014
She must leave the banlieue, just as she insists to the school counselor, that she must go to high school.‘Girlhood’: Coming of Age in France’s Projects
November 25, 2014
Historical Examples of insists
He insists, however, that they have been "evolved" from something, or by some unknown process.Life: Its True Genesis
R. W. Wright
Some answer or other the mind of man demands and insists on receiving.Bunyan
James Anthony Froude
Thrasymachus is pacified, but the intrepid Glaucon insists on continuing the argument.The Republic
But Theaetetus insists that they shall proceed to consider the doctrine of rest.Theaetetus
He only insists that this natural fitness shall be intelligibly explained.Cratylus
- to make a determined demand (for)he insisted that his rights be respected; he insisted on his rights
- to express a convinced belief (in) or assertion (of)he insisted that she was mad; he insisted on her madness