- the act or manner of managing; handling, direction, or control.
- skill in managing; executive ability: great management and tact.
- the person or persons controlling and directing the affairs of a business, institution, etc.: The store is under new management.
- executives collectively, considered as a class (distinguished from labor).
Origin of management
SynonymsSee more synonyms for management on Thesaurus.com
1. regulation, administration; superintendence, care, charge, conduct, guidance, treatment.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for management
That apparently includes some members of the management of the airport itself and some air traffic controllers.Annoying Airport Delays Might Prevent You From Becoming the Next AirAsia 8501
January 6, 2015
Ironically, the play deals with the ‘management’ of information by the Establishment.Harry’s Daddy, and Diana’s ‘Murder’: Royal Rumors In a New Play
January 4, 2015
“Management” in this situation means issuing permits for trophy grizzly hunts.What It Takes to Kill a Grizzly Bear
November 23, 2014
On her new lip balm collection, what Tyra taught her and how being a mom inspires her management decisions.
WITW: How does being a mom affect your management style at work?
They have desired, that I may be consigned over entirely to their management.
The management of the war was the main subject under discussion.The Grand Old Man
Richard B. Cook
Her brother and her sister desire that she may be left to their management.
I know little of them; and happily we shall not be dependent on the result of my management.Weighed and Wanting
It ought to have been a very profitable Bank, if he had much to do with its management.Little Dorrit
- the members of the executive or administration of an organization or businessSee also line management, middle management, top management
- managers or employers collectively
- the technique, practice, or science of managing, controlling or dealing withanger management
- the skilful or resourceful use of materials, time, etc
- the specific treatment of a disease, disorder, etc
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for management
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
The body of individuals who run major businesses, usually without owning them but often with the reward of stock options.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.