- harmful or injurious to health or physical well-being: noxious fumes.
- morally harmful; corrupting; pernicious: a noxious plan to spread dissension.
Origin of noxious
SynonymsSee more synonyms for noxious on Thesaurus.com
1. hurtful, unwholesome, unhealthy, nocuous, detrimental, deleterious. 2. corruptive.
1, 2. harmless.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- poisonous or harmful
- harmful to the mind or morals; corrupting
C17: from Latin noxius harmful, from noxa injury
Word Origin and History for noxiously
c.1500, from Latin noxius "hurtful, injurious," from noxa "injury, hurt, damage entailing liability" (related to nocere "to hurt," and to nex "slaughter"), from PIE *nek-ro-, causative form of root *nek- "death" (see necro-).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Harmful to living things; injurious to health.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.