- Also called one-two punch. Boxing. a left-hand jab immediately followed by a right cross.
- Informal. any strong or effective combination of two people or things: The old one-two of a good passer and a good receiver is the best way to win football games.
- Fencing. a type of attack made up of two movements.
- employing or suggesting a one-two; with one major or powerful thing or person combined with or following another.
Origin of one-two
Related Words for one-twoblow, shot, stroke, jab, slap, clip, jog, clout, slam, rap, belt, poke, nudge, pummel, sock, thump, strike, prod, box, biff
Examples from the Web for one-two
Contemporary Examples of one-two
And there was a time, prior to the one-two punch of Catwoman and Elektra, when superhero films were championed minority heroes.Fear of a Minority Superhero: Marvel's Obsession with White Guys Saving the World
August 7, 2014
You can hear it all over Lazaretto, but especially in the one-two punch of "Temporary Ground" and "Would You Fight for My Love?"Is Jack White the Last True Rock Star?
June 13, 2014
Victims and those who work with victims of sexual assault describe the pain as a one-two punch.Harvard’s Biggest Problem With Sexual Assault Is Harvard Itself
April 4, 2014
Had it been a one-two result, could you imagine the sibling rivalry?What’s a Key to Victory in Sochi? Coming So Close to Defeat.
February 23, 2014
Instead, they were both taken out in a one-two shot by supposed good guy Michael, in one of the biggest twists of the series.The 10 Most Shocking Lost Deaths
Shannon Donnelly, The Daily Beast Video
February 1, 2010
Historical Examples of one-two
I'll give 'im one-two between the eyes if 'e touches me again.The Christian
He ducked a lumbering right swing, and sent a one-two to the body.Nights in London
He swung hard, Terran style, in what had come to be known as the ole one-two.The Sex Life of the Gods
Are our hearts always going to beat on, one-two, one-two, like the ticking of a clock?Lola
You might have counted one-two before he betrayed the least sign of having heard her.Manslaughter
Alice Duer Miller
- boxing a jab with the leading hand followed by a cross with the other hand
- soccer another term for wall pass