- to overcome, master, or subdue by superior force: to overpower a maniac.
- to overcome or overwhelm in feeling; affect or impress excessively: overpowered with confusion and desire.
- to gain mastery over the bodily powers or mental faculties of: a strong drink that quickly overpowered him.
- to furnish or equip with excessive power: a giant motor that overpowered the pump.
Origin of overpower
Synonyms for overpowerSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for overpowerdrub, subdue, smash, overwhelm, rout, trounce, blank, clobber, crush, conquer, defeat, overcome, vanquish, bulldoze, immobilize, murder, prostrate, overthrow, reduce, trash
Examples from the Web for overpower
Contemporary Examples of overpower
And hearing how loud he would scream and overpower the microphone.The Real Legacy of Richard Nixon
August 5, 2014
But the statistic cannot overpower the emotional response to flying.No, Noah Gallagher Shannon, Your Plane Was Not Going to Crash
June 1, 2013
There are moments the grim metal can overpower the sleazy pop charm of early material.Guns N’ Roses Rocks Las Vegas
November 14, 2012
Enough smarts to speak before the cameras, but not so much smarts that you overpower your husband.No More Mrs. Good Wife
July 2, 2011
Blake Gopnik takes a stroll and wonders whether the technology will overpower the art.Google Takes Street View Inside 17 Museums for Virtual Tours
February 1, 2011
Historical Examples of overpower
He would take her in spite of that; overpower her; force her to go.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
The plan of the conspirators had been to shoot down the horses and overpower the escort.The Secret Agent
No, not all: but you overpower me with your wit; and I cannot stand the 'lightning of your eyes.'Tales And Novels, Volume 3 (of 10)
I am afraid your wealth and his (Antisthenes') combined may overpower me.The Symposium
You, even more than I, are bound to see that the Assyrians do not overpower us.Cyropaedia
- to conquer or subdue by superior force
- to have such a strong effect on as to make helpless or ineffective
- to supply with more power than necessary