- to sell more of (a stock, product, etc.) than can be delivered.
- to sell aggressively, as by using high-pressure merchandising techniques.
- to emphasize the good points of excessively and to a self-defeating extent: She so oversold the picnic that I became convinced I'd have a better time at the movies.
- to sell something aggressively.
- to make extreme claims for something or someone.
Origin of oversell
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (tr) to sell more of (a commodity) than can be supplied
- to use excessively aggressive methods in selling (commodities)
- (tr) to exaggerate the merits of