- to pluck (the strings of an instrument).
- to play (a stringed instrument) by plucking with the fingers.
- a speck of dirt, hardened ink, or extra metal on set type or a plate.
- a small area removed from the surface of a coated paper by ink that adheres to the form.
- to find fault with unnecessarily or persistently; nag.
- to eat sparingly or daintily: As he was ill, he only picked at his food.
- to grasp at; touch; handle: The baby loved to pick at her mother's glasses.
- to remove by pulling or plucking off.
- to single out and shoot: The hunter picked off a duck rising from the marsh.
- Baseball. to put out (a base runner) in a pick-off play.
- Informal. to criticize or blame; tease; harass.
- to single out; choose: The professor always picks on me to translate long passages.
- to choose; designate: to pick out one's successor.
- to distinguish from that which surrounds or accompanies; recognize: to pick out a well-known face in a crowd.
- to discern (sense or meaning); discriminate.
- to play (a melody) by ear; work out note by note.
- to extract by picking.
- to lift or take up: to pick up a stone.
- to collect, especially in an orderly manner: Pick up the tools when you're finished.
- to recover (one's courage, health, etc.); regain.
- to gain by occasional opportunity; obtain casually: to pick up a livelihood.
- to learn, as by experience: I've picked up a few Japanese phrases.
- to claim: to pick up one's bags at an airport.
- to take (a person or thing) into a car or ship, etc., or along with one.
- to bring into range of reception, observation, etc.: to pick up Rome on one's radio.
- to accelerate; gain (speed).
- to put in good order; tidy: to pick up a room.
- to make progress; improve: Business is beginning to pick up.
- to catch or contract, as a disease.
- Informal. to become acquainted with informally or casually, often in hope of a sexual relationship: Let's pick up some dates tonight.
- to resume or continue after being left off: Let's pick up the discussion in our next meeting.
- Informal. to take into custody; arrest: They picked him up for vagrancy.
- Informal. to obtain; find; purchase:She picked up some nice shoes on sale.
- Slang. to steal: to pick up jewels and silver.
- to accept, as in order to pay: to pick up the check.
- become aware or cognizant of; be perceptive about; notice: to pick up on the hostess's hostility.
- to pay special attention to; keep an eye on: to pick up on a troubled student.
Idioms about pick
Origin of pick1
synonym study for pick
OTHER WORDS FROM pickpick·a·ble, adjectiveun·pick·a·ble, adjective
Words nearby pick
Other definitions for pick (2 of 3)
Origin of pick2
Other definitions for pick (3 of 3)
Origin of pick3
How to use pick in a sentence
We’ll dive deeper into disposable hand warmers when we talk about our favorite budget pick, but these are a good option to keep in the back of your brain when thinking about ski-appropriate heating options.Best hand warmers: Block the chill during your favorite winter activities|PopSci Commerce Team|February 10, 2021|Popular-Science
The Detroit Lions already have agreed to trade Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams for a king’s ransom of draft picks and fellow quarterback Jared Goff.NFL begins an uncertain offseason, with questions about vaccines, the salary cap and more|Mark Maske|February 9, 2021|Washington Post
Check out the outfitters in the surrounding communities, and have your pick of anything from classic sloops to lobster boats.
Here’s a list of picks from the people who are paid to pay attention to the game, along with a few others from our animal friends.A compendium of Super Bowl picks including one from a goat. (Not the GOAT, an actual goat.)|Matt Bonesteel|February 5, 2021|Washington Post
The team had been linked to Matthew Stafford, but the Detroit Lions agreed last week to trade him to the Los Angeles Rams in exchange for Jared Goff and a bounty of draft picks.Colts owner quells Andrew Luck rumors: ‘We have to get on with the business of reality’|Des Bieler|February 5, 2021|Washington Post
In such beer polls, I suspect a lot of voters would pick Huckabee.
What image are you hoping people who pick up this book and read it, come away with?
Couple guided Stella as she crawled and dipped her chest to pick up each magnet.Dungeons and Genital Clamps: Inside a Legendary BDSM Chateau|Ian Frisch|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Wellington, New Zealand Our Oceania pick is the latest city to wholeheartedly embrace the global Brooklyn movement.
He said the brokers promise that the Italian navy will pick them up, which he says has actually driven the prices down.Inside the Smuggling Networks Flooding Europe with Refugees|Barbie Latza Nadeau|December 15, 2014|DAILY BEAST
We are going to send our butler to the sale to-morrow, to pick up some of that sixty-four.The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club, v. 2(of 2)|Charles Dickens
The majority pick up a job when they can, but are inevitably idle and suffering two-thirds of the time.Glances at Europe|Horace Greeley
But if they all pick up the broadcast that this is where to get a free ride home, I'll have just another sand trap here.Fee of the Frontier|Horace Brown Fyfe
Isabel longed for the time when she should enter them and pick up the threads dropped from her mother's nerveless fingers.Ancestors|Gertrude Atherton
The Chancellor stopped him as he left the King's presence, telling him he should show more reserve and pick his words.Napoleon's Marshals|R. P. Dunn-Pattison
British Dictionary definitions for pick (1 of 3)
Derived forms of pickpickable, adjective
Word Origin for pick
British Dictionary definitions for pick (2 of 3)
Word Origin for pick
British Dictionary definitions for pick (3 of 3)
Word Origin for pick
Other Idioms and Phrases with pick
In addition to the idioms beginning with pick
- pick a bone with
- pick and choose
- pick apart
- pick a quarrel
- pick at
- picked over
- pick holes in
- pick off
- pick of the litter
- pick on
- pick one's way
- pick out
- pick over
- pick someone's brain
- pick to pieces
- pick up
- pick up on
- pick up the pieces
- bone to pick
- slim pickings