- a formal notarial certificate attesting the fact that a check, note, or bill of exchange has been presented for acceptance or payment and that it has been refused.
- the action taken to fix the liability for a dishonored bill of exchange or note.
- (upon one's payment of a tax or other state or city exaction) a formal statement disputing the legality of the demand.
- a written and attested declaration made by the master of a ship stating the circumstances under which some damage has happened to the ship or cargo, or other circumstances involving the liability of the officers, crew, etc.
verb (used without object)
verb (used with object)
SYNONYMS FOR protest
LEARN THE SPANISH WORDS FOR THESE COMMON ANIMALS!
Origin of protest
synonym study for protest
OTHER WORDS FROM protest
Example sentences from the Web for protest
The arrest of two leading opposition candidates has sparked sporadic mass protests that have entered the second day in different parts of the country leaving at least 16 people dead and scores more with severe injuries, the police said.Uganda’s election run-up has turned deadly after opposition candidates were arrested|Stephen Kafeero|November 19, 2020|Quartz
They’ve used photos from protests, sleuthing on social media, crowdsourcing through the internet even resorted to stealing personal information.Citizens are turning face recognition on unidentified police|Tate Ryan-Mosley|November 18, 2020|MIT Technology Review
In April 2020, they held a protest in Los Angeles demanding Spears be released.Why Britney Spears’s fans are convinced she’s being held captive|Constance Grady|November 11, 2020|Vox
She’d never spoken out publicly on a social issue before, but when protests over racial injustice erupted across the country, she knew that staying silent would only contribute to the systemic problems.
Then the pandemic hit, and economic uncertainty, and protests erupted over racial justice and tensions flared over the presidential election and transition.Most popular course ever at Georgetown Law? How to fight for justice.|Susan Svrluga|November 6, 2020|Washington Post
British Dictionary definitions for protest
- public, often organized, dissent or manifestation of such dissent
- (as modifier)a protest march
- a formal notarial statement drawn up on behalf of a creditor and declaring that the debtor has dishonoured a bill of exchange or promissory note
- the action of drawing up such a statement
- a formal declaration by a taxpayer disputing the legality or accuracy of his assessment