- any of several diseases of plants, characterized by reddish, brownish, or black pustules on the leaves, stems, etc., caused by fungi of the order Uredinales.
- Also called rust fungus . a fungus causing this disease.
- any of several other diseases of unknown cause, characterized by reddish-brown spots or discolorations on the affected parts.
verb (used without object)
verb (used with object)
THINK YOU’VE GOT A HANDLE ON THIS US STATE NICKNAME QUIZ?
Origin of rust
OTHER WORDS FROM rustde·rust, verb (used with object)un·rust, verb (used with object)
Example sentences from the Web for rust
It was an old, rusted AMC Pacer that was missing, among other things, a fuel door.‘My Crazy Love’ Reveals the Craziest Lies People Tell for Love|Kevin Fallon|November 18, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The more than 50,000 who reside in West Point live mostly in shacks made of zinc with rusted tin roofs.
In one, a display of rusted Soviet weapons, unearthed from around the base, recalls a war museum… a war museum within a war.How I’ll End the War: My First Week Back in Afghanistan|Nick Willard|May 1, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The wire is long gone, but a rusted snag remains entombed in the bark.How the Kings of Fracking Double-Crossed Their Way to Riches|ProPublica|March 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Adebowale is accused of rushing towards a police car, holding a rusted gun, when he too was gunned down by officers.
Across the fields go winding, brown bramble-patches of rusted barbed wire.The Glory of The Coming|Irvin S. Cobb
Candle-light glimmered on the dark pictures, the rusted circles of arms, the stags' heads with their dusty eyes.The Maid-At-Arms|Robert W. Chambers
The hatches were rusted shut and unmanageable, but you could tell a lot by sniffing.The Knights of Arthur|Frederik Pohl
The fisherman put to his eyes his worn and rusted spy-glass.Grenfell: Knight-Errant of the North|Fullerton Waldo
It took effort, as if his muscles had been screwed up and rusted in place.The Debatable Land|Arthur Colton
British Dictionary definitions for rust
- any basidiomycetous fungus of the order Uredinales, parasitic on cereal plants, conifers, etc
- any of various plant diseases characterized by reddish-brown discoloration of the leaves and stem, esp that caused by the rust fungi
- a strong brown colour, sometimes with a reddish or yellowish tinge
- (as adjective)a rust carpet
Derived forms of rustrustless, adjective
Word Origin for rust
Medical definitions for rust
Scientific definitions for rust
- Any of various basidiomycete fungi that are parasitic on plants and produce reddish or brownish spots on leaves. Rusts attack a wide variety of plants and can cause enormous damage to crops.
- Any of the various plant diseases caused by these fungi.