- a widespread change in atmospheric pressure that is in addition to cyclonic and normal diurnal changes.
- storm surge.
- a sudden rush or burst of current or voltage.
- a violent oscillatory disturbance.
- an uneven flow and strong momentum given to a fluid, as water in a tank, resulting in a rapid, temporary rise in pressure.
- pulsating unevenness of motion in an engine or gas turbine.
verb (used without object), surged, surg·ing.
- to increase suddenly, as current or voltage.
- to oscillate violently.
- to slack off or loosen a rope or cable around a capstan or windlass.
- to slip back, as a rope.
verb (used with object), surged, surg·ing.
THIS WEEK’S WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ IS POSITIVELY FELICIFIC
Origin of surge
OTHER WORDS FROM surgeun·surg·ing, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH surgeserge surge
Words nearby surge
Example sentences from the Web for surging
How many of these surging thousands are solid, and how many of these assumptions are tricks of the light?
Whether it was surging steroid use, or the way AstroTurf could wreck ACL joints, there was always something to fix.Super Bowl XLVIII Is Set to Be the Most Violent One Yet|Evin Demirel|January 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Even then she had to climb on to its roof with dozens of children, nieces and nephews to escape the surging flood.Typhoon Haiyan: The Philippine Village that Lost Its Men|The Telegraph|November 17, 2013|DAILY BEAST
Bill Nye chats with Kevin Fallon about his new projects and surging fame.Bill Nye on ‘Dancing With the Stars,’ Fabulous Things & Being Popular|Kevin Fallon|October 7, 2013|DAILY BEAST
Still, having alienated the center, and with Sarvis surging, Cuccinelli must be prepared to take what he can get.
We weren't more than half-way down to the river when we heard Trevor surging and yelling astern, somewheres up on the bench.A Man in the Open|Roger Pocock
At length but a single rope held the now swaying and surging air ship to the ground.Frank Merriwell's Bravery|Burt L. Standish
When our hero left the presence of Mrs. Speir, wild, strange hopes were surging in his heart.A Successful Shadow|Harlan Page Halsey
He was as helpless as a log of wood borne onward by the surging tide.The Courier of the Ozarks|Byron A. Dunn
As he reached the stream, and saw its surging surface sweeping seaward, for a moment his nerve failed him.A Woman's Burden|Fergus Hume