- the excess of assets over liabilities accumulated throughout the existence of a business, excepting assets against which stock certificates have been issued; excess of net worth over capital-stock value.
- an amount of assets in excess of what is requisite to meet liabilities.
verb (used with object), sur·plussed or sur·plused, sur·plus·sing or sur·plus·ing.
Origin of surplus
Synonyms for surplus
Related Words for surplusunused, leftover, excess, balance, over, spare, supernumerary, residue, oversupply, surfeit, plethora, superabundance, overmuch, overage, superfluity, plus, surplusage, overflow, remainder, overrun
Examples from the Web for surplus
Contemporary Examples of surplus
Scottish farmers had already been making whisky in the area for centuries with their surplus barley.Ester Elchies, The Estate Built By Whiskey
December 10, 2014
In September 2013, the government reported a surplus of $75.1 billion.The Battle of the Deficit Bulge Has Been Won
October 6, 2014
This is an era of change coming thick and fast after the war, and London is a city of surplus women and new class mobility.Sarah Waters’s New Novel Rewrites the Rules of Love
September 20, 2014
But we now have all this surplus military weaponry going to police forces.Rory Kennedy on ‘Last Days in Vietnam,’ the Parallels Between Vietnam and Iraq, and Ferguson
September 1, 2014
Like surplus gear, a couple services are getting rid of people too.Downsizing the War: Layoffs and Yard Sales in Afghanistan
August 1, 2014
Historical Examples of surplus
Haven't we spent all our surplus in keeping you up for a good marriage?The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
No nation has ever before been embarrassed from too large a surplus in its treasury.
A surplus in the Treasury created by loans is not a permanent or safe reliance.
While a Treasury surplus is not the greatest evil, it is a serious evil.
They pay taxes on their capital and surplus, not on their loans.Dust
Mr. and Mrs. Haldeman-Julius
noun plural -pluses
- an excess of total assets over total liabilities
- an excess of actual net assets over the nominal value of capital stock
- an excess of revenues over expenditures during a certain period of time
- an excess of government revenues over expenditures during a certain financial year
- an excess of receipts over payments on the balance of payments