- the process of identifying or detecting the presence of a constituent of a substance, or of determining the nature of a substance, commonly by the addition of a reagent.
- the reagent used.
- an indication or evidence of the presence of a constituent, or of the nature of a substance, obtained by such means.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
QUIZ YOURSELF ON “ITS” VS. “IT’S”!
Origin of test1
synonym study for test
OTHER WORDS FROM test
Definition for test (2 of 4)
Origin of test2
Definition for test (3 of 4)
Definition for test (4 of 4)
Example sentences from the Web for test
Navy’s past three games have been postponed — the first two because of outbreaks at Navy and the third after positive tests at South Florida.Navy will host Memphis and Tulsa to make up games postponed by coronavirus issues|Kareem Copeland|November 20, 2020|Washington Post
He described the tests as the “backbone of our testing strategy,” adding that he bought them “at a time where there were no tests available in America.”Hogan’s first batch of coronavirus tests from South Korea were flawed, never used|Steve Thompson|November 20, 2020|Washington Post
Like the others, he was surprised that this group — selected to focus on engineering test flights and medical scrutiny — became instant celebrities, feted as national heroes years before the rockets were ready to fly them.
So as test positivity in some parts of Maryland and Virginia declined this fall, some nursing homes tested workers less frequently than they had in the summer.Maryland and Virginia nursing homes battle explosive covid-19 outbreaks — again|Rebecca Tan, Rachel Chason|November 20, 2020|Washington Post
The most up-to-date information on where to get a coronavirus test can be found here.Virginia’s coronavirus numbers are rising. Here’s what you need to know.|Antonio Olivo|November 20, 2020|Washington Post
They are all de testable women; but the cook is the least ill-looking of the three.No Name|Wilkie Collins
British Dictionary definitions for test (1 of 2)
- a chemical reaction or physical procedure for testing a substance, material, etc
- a chemical reagent used in such a procedurelitmus is a test for acids
- the result of the procedure or the evidence gained from itthe test for alcohol was positive
Derived forms of testtestable, adjectivetestability, nountesting, adjective
Word Origin for test
British Dictionary definitions for test (2 of 2)
Word Origin for test
Medical definitions for test
Idioms and Phrases with test
see acid test; put to the test.