- the process of identifying or detecting the presence of a constituent of a substance, or of determining the nature of a substance, commonly by the addition of a reagent.
- the reagent used.
- an indication or evidence of the presence of a constituent, or of the nature of a substance, obtained by such means.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
Origin of test1
Examples from the Web for testing
Testing methods can now detect HIV within ten days of infection.The Outrageous Celibacy Requirement for Gay Blood Donors|Jay Michaelson|November 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Discarding the idea of testing the waters with a provocative contribution, I just asked what they would do.
With few protective barriers in place, their safety relies heavily on testing protocols and trusting their partners.
Thankfully, testing performers for STDs is mandatory—or so we thought.
SpaceShipTwo was testing a new plastic-based rocket fuel for the first time Friday.
Joe and Abe looked to it, testing every knot, however, and their seamanship told.Tom Fairfield at Sea|Allen Chapman
It had to be done, though, and it seemed a good opportunity for testing your courage, so I asked you to come with me.Derrick Sterling|Kirk Monroe
In testing the function of these bows and their ability to shoot, a bamboo flight arrow made by Ishi was used as the standard.Hunting with the Bow and Arrow|Saxton Pope
The presence of starch can be shown by testing with a solution of iodine.Outlines of Lessons in Botany, Part I; From Seed to Leaf|Jane H. Newell
He gave a great number the opportunity of testing the truth of the tradition.
British Dictionary definitions for testing (1 of 2)
- a chemical reaction or physical procedure for testing a substance, material, etc
- a chemical reagent used in such a procedurelitmus is a test for acids
- the result of the procedure or the evidence gained from itthe test for alcohol was positive
Derived Formstestable, adjectivetestability, nountesting, adjective
Word Origin for test
British Dictionary definitions for testing (2 of 2)
Word Origin for test
Medicine definitions for testing
Idioms and Phrases with testing
see acid test; put to the test.