- a school of Hindu philosophy advocating and prescribing a course of physical and mental disciplines for attaining liberation from the material world and union of the self with the Supreme Being or ultimate principle.
- any of the methods or disciplines prescribed, especially a series of postures and breathing exercises practiced to achieve control of the body and mind, tranquillity, etc.
- union of the self with the Supreme Being or ultimate principle.
Origin of yoga
Borrowed into English from Sanskrit around 1810–20
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for yogic
This was my first observation of him in the yogic trance; it filled me with fright.
During my married life I often yearned for a son, to train in the yogic path.
His yogic power was such that he either could will them not to bite, or could escape to an inner invulnerability.
Because the yogic science satisfies a universal need, it has a natural universal applicability.
The Kriya beginner employs his yogic exercise only fourteen to twenty- eight times, twice daily.
- a Hindu system of philosophy aiming at the mystical union of the self with the Supreme Being in a state of complete awareness and tranquillity through certain physical and mental exercises
- any method by which such awareness and tranquillity are attained, esp a course of related exercises and postures designed to promote physical and spiritual wellbeingSee Astanga yoga, Bikram yoga, hatha yoga, power yoga, raja yoga, Sivananda yoga
C19: from Sanskrit: a yoking, union, from yunakti he yokes
Word Origin and History for yogic
1820, from Hindi yoga, from Sanskrit yoga-s, literally "union, yoking" (with the Supreme Spirit), from PIE root *yeug- "to join" (see jugular).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
In Hinduism, a set of mental and physical exercises aimed at producing spiritual enlightenment.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.