- to separate (a material or abstract entity) into constituent parts or elements; determine the elements or essential features of (opposed to synthesize): to analyze an argument.
- to examine critically, so as to bring out the essential elements or give the essence of: to analyze a poem.
- to examine carefully and in detail so as to identify causes, key factors, possible results, etc.
- to subject to mathematical, chemical, grammatical, etc., analysis.
- to psychoanalyze: a patient who has been analyzed by two therapists.
Origin of analyze
Synonyms for analyzeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for analyze
Related Words for analyzesresolve, consider, evaluate, study, inspect, investigate, scrutinize, test, interpret, dissect, determine, parse, rehash, assay, figure, confab, judge, hash, estimate, anatomize
c.1600, "to dissect," from French analyser, from analyse (see analysis). Literature sense is attested from 1610s; meaning in chemistry dates from 1660s. General sense of "to examine closely" dates from 1809; psychological sense is from 1909. Related: Analyzed; analyzing.