[an-ser-uh-buh l, ahn-]
- liable to be asked to give account; responsible: He is answerable to a committee for all his decisions.
- capable of being answered: a question answerable by mail.
- proportionate; correlative (usually followed by to).
- corresponding; suitable (usually followed by to): The amount is not answerable to my needs.
Origin of answerable
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for answerabilityduty, power, importance, restraint, authority, liability, guilt, burden, obligation, trust, culpability, onus, fault, accountability, charge, loyalty, omission, negligence, defect, misconduct
- (postpositive; foll by for or to) responsible or accountableanswerable for someone's safety; answerable to one's boss
- able to be answered
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper