- being without moisture; extremely dry; parched: arid land; an arid climate.
- barren or unproductive because of lack of moisture: arid farmland.
- lacking interest or imaginativeness; sterile; jejune: an arid treatment of an exciting topic.
Origin of arid
Examples from the Web for arid
Some parts were arid, nearly barren, others green and fertile.‘The Harness Maker’s Dream:’ The Unlikely Ranch King of Texas
September 20, 2014
His papers are voluminous but arid, nothing of the man comes through.When New York City Hit Its Stride
July 17, 2014
Anguilla is an arid, flat Caribbean island surrounded on all sides by seawater.Sun+Water= High Tech Caribbean Luxury At The Cusinart Resort
The Daily Beast
June 11, 2014
Media people, always on perpetual deadline, can adapt even to the most arid surroundings.Tropical Storm Isaac Sidelines Media Elite at the Republican Convention
August 28, 2012
Without it, the seeds of change and innovation will wither in a soil that is an arid mix of negativism and defeatism.America's Real Problem: We Failed the Middle Class
September 11, 2010
Though the desert were arid on this side, it was her desert, and there in her tent must she abide.Tiverton Tales
He was accustomed to far higher temperatures on the arid planet that was his home.Slaves of Mercury
One could not fancy a drop of moisture upon that arid surface.The Captain of the Pole-Star and Other Tales
Arthur Conan Doyle
Not a word or even a mutter assisted this short and arid handshake.Under Western Eyes
In the syllogistic system he found only subtlety and arid ingenuity.Erasmus and the Age of Reformation
- having little or no rain; dry; parched with heat
- devoid of interest
Word Origin and History for arid
1650s, "dry, parched," from French aride (15c.) or directly from Latin aridus "dry, arid, parched," from arere "to be dry," from PIE root *as- "to burn, glow" (see ash (n.1)). Figurative sense of "uninteresting" is from 1827. Related: Aridly.
- Very dry, especially having less precipitation than is needed to support most trees or woody plants. Deserts have arid climates.