- goodby; may you fare well: Farewell, and may we meet again in happier times.
- an expression of good wishes at parting: They made their farewells and left.
- leave-taking; departure: a fond farewell.
- a party given to a person who is about to embark on a long journey, retire, leave an organization, etc.
- parting; valedictory; final: a farewell performance.
Origin of farewell
- Cape, a cape in S Greenland: most southerly point of Greenland.
Related Words for farewelladieu, goodbye, sendoff, valediction, salutation, parting, ciao, cheerio, adios, leave-taking, bye-bye, ta-ta
Examples from the Web for farewell
Contemporary Examples of farewell
There was something cathartic about deleting this 2,500-word monster of a farewell, and resolving to live.Dear Leelah, We Will Fight On For You: A Letter to a Dead Trans Teen
January 1, 2015
“If you see their car, you know some poor soul is about to die,” Noor says, at his farewell party.Obama’s Deadly Informants: The Drone Spotters of Pakistan
Umar Farooq, Syed Fakhar Kakakhel
November 12, 2014
A Chinese restaurateur ran to the window as I wolfed down roast duck for my farewell dinner, as shots were heard across the way.No Movie Stars, No Red Carpet, But Off-Season Cannes Is Still Magic
September 15, 2014
Will voters shower Breaking Bad with farewell trophies, or is the enthusiasm for True Detective impossible to beat?What's TV's Best Drama? 'True Detective,' 'Game of Thrones,' and Our Emmy Predictions
August 22, 2014
Cersei Lannister, meanwhile, was also transformed by a farewell of sorts.Best ‘Game of Thrones’ Season Yet
June 16, 2014
Historical Examples of farewell
I am bound for my quarters, I came but to thank you for your goodness to me, and to bid you farewell.The Armourer's Prentices
Charlotte M. Yonge
I write only to bid you farewell, the spell is removed; I see you as you are.Lady Susan
So farewell, Katy, we're due to burst into high society tonight.Her Father's Daughter
And, unfortunately, it was not time yet to bid the creature "farewell."It Happened in Egypt
C. N. Williamson
Farewell to the dismal, blood-red phantom of martial renown!The Works of Whittier, Volume VII (of VII)
John Greenleaf Whittier
- goodbye; adieu
- a parting salutation
- an act of departure; leave-taking
- (modifier) expressing leave-takinga farewell speech
- Australian and NZ to honour (a person) at his departure, retirement, etc