- time spent in an office, factory, or the like, or for work, study, etc.: The doctor's hours were from 10 to 4. What an employee does after hours is his or her own business.
- customary time of going to bed and getting up: to keep late hours.
- (in the Christian church) the seven stated times of the day for prayer and devotion.
- the offices or services prescribed for these times.
- a book containing them.
Words nearby hour
Idioms for hour
- Also one's last hour. the instant of death: The sick man knew that his hour had come.
- any crucial moment.
Origin of hour
OTHER WORDS FROM hourhour·less, adjective
Examples from the Web for hour
So here I am in my requisite Lululemon pants, grunting along to an old hip-hop song at a most ungodly hour.How Taryn Toomey’s ‘The Class’ Became New York’s Latest Fitness Craze|Lizzie Crocker|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
An hour later, he scored a second flight to Johannesburg for $380.‘We Out Here’: Inside the New Black Travel Movement|Charlise Ferguson|January 4, 2015|DAILY BEAST
He was released within the hour without a bond on his own recognizance.
The child almost died from the delay of an hour in seeking help.
Her phone rings at least once an hour with questions from journalists, which she answers in Arabic, English, and sometimes French.
In an hour he was back again with a huge bundle of dry wood.A Roving Commission|G. A. Henty
Why should it break its pretty painted wings in trying to soar above the sunshine of the hour?Miss Hildreth, Volume 1 of 3|Augusta de Grasse Stevens
After this it disappeared, having remained somewhat less than a quarter of an hour.Buffon's Natural History, Volume II (of 10)|Georges Louis Leclerc de Buffon
At a quarter past the hour she felt so poorly as to be compelled to retire to her room.'Farewell, Nikola'|Guy Boothby
At the end of a quarter of an hour of arrest, which had nothing disagreeable in it, he was simply asked to leave.
British Dictionary definitions for hour
- a time of success, fame, etc
- Also: one's last hour the time of one's deathhis hour had come
Word Origin for hour
Scientific definitions for hour
Idioms and Phrases with hour
see after hours; all hours; by the day (hour); eleventh hour; happy hour; keep late hours; on the hour; small hours.