- the quality or state of being unhappy; unhappiness.
- misfortune; bad luck.
- an unfortunate circumstance; misfortune.
- inaptness, inappropriateness, or awkwardness, as of action or expression.
- something inapt or infelicitous: infelicities of style.
Origin of infelicity
Related Words for infelicityaffliction, disappointment, hardship, misadventure, inconvenience, discomfort, mishap, cataclysm, calamity, debacle, setback, misery, tribulation, disadvantage, tragedy, adversity, catastrophe, grief, woe, sadness
Examples from the Web for infelicity
Historical Examples of infelicity
Here we trace the origin of the infelicity of this religious household.Female Scripture Biographies, Vol. I
Francis Augustus Cox
In an instant Christie saw the infelicity of her position, and its dangers.Devil's Ford
Senator Boompointer, unconscious of any infelicity in his interruption, was calmly waiting.Clarence
Life is an act of God: he would not have it marred again by infelicity like his own.Expositor's Bible: The Book of Job
No man can judge of the happiness or infelicity of his neighbour.Munster Village
- the state or quality of being unhappy or unfortunate
- an instance of bad luck or mischance; misfortune
- something, esp a remark or expression, that is inapt or inappropriate