- to be emphatic, firm, or resolute on some matter of desire, demand, intention, etc.: He insists on checking every shipment.
- to lay emphasis in assertion: to insist on the justice of a claim.
- to dwell with earnestness or emphasis (usually followed by on or upon): to insist on a point in a discussion.
- to assert or maintain firmly: He insists that he saw the ghosts.
- to demand or persist in demanding: I insist that you see this thing through.
Origin of insist
Synonyms for insistSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for insistedcontend, urge, reiterate, repeat, request, maintain, assert, vow, demand, press, hold, swear, require, importune, asseverate, persist, aver
Examples from the Web for insisted
Contemporary Examples of insisted
Lalo insisted during a recent interview that they encountered Chito “and his people by accident.”
It seems that the deputies asked him to leave, but Saylor insisted on staying, and perhaps physically resisted them.How the U.S. Justice System Screws Prisoners with Disabilities
December 16, 2014
“At worst, Eric picked up a garbage can, was told by police to put it down, and did,” his lawyer, Martin Stoler, insisted.Protesters Slimed This Good Samaritan Cop
December 16, 2014
But he insisted that there is nothing about her death to provoke additional scrutiny.The Mystery Death Of A Female Firefighter
December 13, 2014
“After August 2002, it was a well-managed program with specific instructions with what to do,” Rodriguez insisted.CIA Interrogation Chief: ‘Rectal Feeding,’ Broken Limbs Are News to Me
December 11, 2014
Historical Examples of insisted
"But I tell you she isn't right," insisted Percival, warmly.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
No doubt it was true, for she would have insisted on moderate cleanliness and comfort.
Sir John, however, insisted that they should all be ordered back again.
When he was obstinate, and insisted on exerting himself, she gave in.Life and Death of Harriett Frean
No sooner did he learn of Mark's condition, than he insisted on taking charge of him.Weighed and Wanting
- to make a determined demand (for)he insisted that his rights be respected; he insisted on his rights
- to express a convinced belief (in) or assertion (of)he insisted that she was mad; he insisted on her madness