- the least quantity or amount possible, assignable, allowable, or the like.
- the lowest speed permitted on a highway.
- the lowest amount, value, or degree attained or recorded.
- an arbitrary amount set by a restaurant, nightclub, etc., as the least amount to be charged each person for food and drink.Compare cover charge.
- Also called relative minimum, local minimum.the value of a function at a certain point in its domain, which is less than or equal to the values at all other points in the immediate vicinity of the point.Compare absolute minimum.
- the point in the domain at which a minimum occurs.
- noting or indicating a minimum.
- least possible: minimum risk.
- lowest: a minimum rate.
- pertaining to a minimum or minimums.
Origin of minimum
Examples from the Web for minimum
He was treated like an immigrant, working for minimum wage, missing his family and having to move on from his musical career.Cuban Hip-Hop Was Born in Alamar
December 26, 2014
Remove the roast from the pan and let rest for a minimum of 15 minutes.Make Carla Hall’s Roasted Pork Loin With Cranberries
December 24, 2014
A gifted marketer, he sent samples of the hat to merchandisers all over the West, asking for a minimum order of a dozen.My Love Letter to the Stetson
December 24, 2014
To work at Rizzoli you had to be fluent in several languages: three was the minimum when I began.The Bookstore That Bewitched Mick Jagger, John Lennon, and Greta Garbo
December 16, 2014
Both give estimates of how many U.S. workers would benefit from an increase in the minimum wage.Staving Off a Democratic Civil War
December 2, 2014
The thing is done with thoroughness, but at a minimum of cost.In the Heart of Vosges
The inexperienced does not know how to meet them with a minimum of effort.The Forest
Stewart Edward White
This is the minimum amount which can be sold on the Exchange.About sugar buying for Jobbers
B. W. Dyer
Horses and mules are placed in Class II, with a minimum weight of 1,400 kg.The Railroad Question
Actually, Arrill seemed to get along with a minimum of government.Grove of the Unborn
- the least possible amount, degree, or quantity
- the least amount recorded, allowed, or reachedthe minimum in our temperature record this month was 50°
- (modifier) being the least possible, recorded, allowed, etcminimum age
- maths a value of a function that is less than any neighbouring value
- of or relating to a minimum or minimums
Word Origin and History for minimum
1660s, "smallest portion into which matter is divisible," from Latin minimum "smallest" (thing), neuter of minimus "smallest, least," superlative of minor "smaller" (see minor). Meaning "least amount attainable" is from 1670s.
1810, from minimum (n.).
- The lowest known or lowest possible number, measure, quantity, or degree.
- The lowest value of a mathematical function, if it has such a value.