- the relation between two propositions that have the same subject and predicate, but which differ in quantity or quality, or in both.
- the relation between two propositions in virtue of which the truth or falsity of one of them determines the truth or falsity of the other.
- the relationship between any two alternative units within a linguistic system, especially between minimally distinct phonemes.
- the feature that constitutes the difference between two such units.
Origin of opposition
OTHER WORDS FROM opposition
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH oppositionapposition, opposition
Words nearby opposition
How to use opposition in a sentence
They also spearheaded an ultimately successful effort to remove an opposition president.The problem of environmental racism in Mexico today is rooted in history|Jayson Porter|February 11, 2021|Washington Post
For starters, previous recall campaigns that have made the ballot have done so thanks to intense grassroots opposition to the governor, but this one may deserve a bit of an asterisk because of all the extra time it had to collect signatures.California’s Gavin Newsom Will Likely Face A Recall Election — But He’ll Probably Survive It|Geoffrey Skelley (firstname.lastname@example.org)|February 10, 2021|FiveThirtyEight
Leading opposition figures say there was no coup attempt — and that Moïse is no longer president.
Progress happens, and alongside it, opposition grows as well.'We All Have to Create Our Own Universe.' Producer and Artist Zackary Drucker on Telling Nuanced Trans Stories|Suyin Haynes|February 8, 2021|Time
Although no one has officially registered any opposition to a new bill introduced by Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, not everyone agrees that giving students a re-do is a good idea.Morning Report: The Stormwater Deficit Is a Big Deal|Voice of San Diego|February 8, 2021|Voice of San Diego
First, as opposition to gay marriage collapses, American anti-LGBT activists will slow their battle against it.
The bill, which passed Congress without opposition, is only a temporary fix and expires in 2015.Nazis, Sunscreen, and Sea Gull Eggs: Congress in 2014 Was Hella Productive|Ben Jacobs|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The opposition responded with a month-long Occupy Abay (like Occupy Wall St) campaign, in which Udaltsov was one of key figures.
Other journalists and opposition activists languish in prison on similar charges.
As for his harsh—some might even say paranoid—opposition to European integration, “most of us would support him.”Vaclav Klaus, Libertarian Hero, Has His Wings Clipped by Cato Institute|James Kirchick|December 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Never had Punch secured the telling of that tale with so little opposition.Kipling Stories and Poems Every Child Should Know, Book II|Rudyard Kipling
"You are very sure of opposition—strangely sure, monsieur," said Garnache, looking him between the eyes.St. Martin's Summer|Rafael Sabatini
Wait patiently until your side move over from the Opposition to the Government benches.
At the store he would never have given in, but he was not accustomed to hearing so loud a murmur of approval greet the opposition.The Soldier of the Valley|Nelson Lloyd
The Alcaid and his officers seized the favourable moment, and entered the house without opposition.The Pastor's Fire-side Vol. 3 of 4|Jane Porter
British Dictionary definitions for opposition
- the opposition a political party or group opposed to the ruling party or government
- (capital as part of a name, esp in Britain and other Commonwealth countries)Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition
- in opposition (of a political party) opposing the government
- the position of an outer planet or the moon when it is in line or nearly in line with the earth as seen from the sun and is approximately at its nearest to the earth
- the position of two celestial bodies when they appear to be diametrically opposite each other on the celestial sphereCompare conjunction (def. 4)
- the relation between propositions having the same subject and predicate but differing in quality, quantity, or both, as with all men are wicked; no men are wicked; some men are not wicked
- square of opposition a diagram representing these relations with the contradictory propositions at diagonally opposite corners