- a camera for making facsimile copies of documents, drawings, etc., in the form of paper negatives on which the positions of lines, objects, etc., in the originals are maintained.
- a copy made with this camera.
- to copy with this camera.
Origin of photostat
Related Words for photostatpicture, likeness, image, snapshot, print, portrait, photo, photograph, replication, photocopy, recreation, propagation, replica, facsimile, imitation, breeding, copy, reproduction, type, model
Examples from the Web for photostat
Historical Examples of photostat
She picked up the photostat and handed it along the table to him.
It was a photostat of what looked like the title page and contents of some sort of a periodical.
We will keep the original and we will be glad to give you a photostat for your records.Warren Commission (1 of 26): Hearings Vol. I (of 15)
The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
Photostat copies in the library of the Massachusetts Historical Society, accessible only by special permission.Lincoln
Nathaniel Wright Stephenson
A copy of the history not being available, this is printed from a photostat copy furnished by the Dominion archives.First History of New Brunswick
- a machine or process used to make quick positive or negative photographic copies of written, printed, or graphic matter
- any copy made by such a machine
- to make a photostat copy (of)
1909, a type of copying machine (trademark Commercial Camera Company, Providence, R.I.) whose name became a generic noun and verb (1914) for "photocopy;" from photo- + stat.