- the income of a government from taxation, excise duties, customs, or other sources, appropriated to the payment of the public expenses.
- the government department charged with the collection of such income.
- revenues, the collective items or amounts of income of a person, a state, etc.
- the return or yield from any kind of property, patent, service, etc.; income.
- an amount of money regularly coming in.
- a particular item or source of income.
Origin of revenue
Related Words for revenuesalary, return, wealth, credit, pay, receipt, yield, fund, earnings, interest, dividend, stock, proceeds, gain, gravy, reward, handle, means, split, get
Examples from the Web for revenue
Contemporary Examples of revenue
In their effort to diversify their revenue, they have capitalized on traditional practices to new advantage.ISIS, Boko Haram, and the Growing Role of Human Trafficking in 21st Century Terrorism
Louise I. Shelley
December 26, 2014
The Cuban government siphons off revenue from nearly every business transaction in the country.Obama’s One Hand Clap With Castro
December 24, 2014
Just wanted to place it in the context of slates needing picture choices that throw off revenue to make the numbers work.Inside Sony’s ‘Pineapple Express 2 Drama’: Leaked Emails Reveal Fight Over Stoner Comedy Sequel
December 21, 2014
One area that would immediately benefit is revenue from ticket sales.Is Any College Football Coach Worth $60 Million? Jim Harbaugh Is
December 20, 2014
Not to mention the revenue that will be generated by this, which then can be used to fund education and health care.Tribes to U.S. Government: Take Your Weed and Shove It
December 13, 2014
Historical Examples of revenue
There is nothing to do but go over the revenue from the estate.Her Father's Daughter
We saw the revenue button on his coat, so we brought him down.Micah Clarke
Arthur Conan Doyle
We say, therefore, that governments must limit their expenditure to their revenue.The Paper Moneys of Europe
Francis W. Hirst
It was now Israel himself who suggested dubious means of revenue.The Scapegoat
It was my only revenue, however, and I continued to live upon it somehow.Kent Knowles: Quahaug
Joseph C. Lincoln
- the income accruing from taxation to a government during a specified period of time, usually a year
- a government department responsible for the collection of government revenue
- (as modifier)revenue men
- the gross income from a business enterprise, investment, property, etc
- a particular item of income
- something that yields a regular financial return; source of income
Word Origin for revenue
early 15c., "income from property or possessions," from Middle French revenue, in Old French, "a return," noun use of fem. past participle of revenir "come back" (10c.), from Latin revenire "return, come back," from re- "back" (see re-) + venire "come" (see venue). Meaning "public income" is first recorded 1680s; revenue sharing popularized from 1971. Revenuer "U.S. Department of Revenue agent," the bane of Appalachian moonshiners, first attested 1880.
The income of local, state, or national governments.