- the skin of a sheep, especially such a skin dressed with the wool on, as for a garment.
- leather, parchment, or the like, made from the skin of sheep.
- Informal. a diploma.
- made from the skin of a sheep.
- (of a garment) lined with the skin of a sheep dressed with the wool on.
Origin of sheepskin
Related Words for sheepskinskin, warranty, license, coupon, receipt, diploma, affidavit, authentication, paper, voucher, permit, ticket, warrant, deed, authorization, guarantee, credential, documentation, certification, sort
Examples from the Web for sheepskin
Contemporary Examples of sheepskin
So where might the next Carol Bartz or Jeff Bezos get their sheepskin?Tech's 29 Most Powerful Colleges
Thomas E. Weber
May 3, 2010
Historical Examples of sheepskin
I didn't blame him for stopping up there on his sheepskin, eye to eye with the girl.It Happened in Egypt
C. N. Williamson
The coachman had mounted to his box, and was wrapping a sheepskin about his knees.The Shadow of a Crime
The footman (who survived) had no time to see the face of the man in the sheepskin coat.Under Western Eyes
The sheepskin blankets with the wool on were almost as black as soot.The Land of the Long Night
Paul du Chaillu
Each one took off his sheepskin jacket, reversed it and put it on again.Debts of Honor
- the skin of a sheep, esp when used for clothing, etc, or with the fleece removed and used for parchment
- (as modifier)a sheepskin coat