Origin of singer1
- a person or thing that singes.
Origin of singer2
- Isaac Ba·shev·is [bah-shev-is] /bɑˈʃɛv ɪs/, 1904–91, U.S. novelist and short-story writer (in Yiddish), born in Poland: Nobel prize 1978.
- Isaac Mer·rit [mer-it] /ˈmɛr ɪt/, 1811–75, U.S. inventor.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for singer
In a bizarre matchup, the Pirates of the Caribbean actor came for the 20-year-old singer this past July in Ibiza.The Bloom-Bieber Brawl We Didn’t Know We Needed
December 29, 2014
For the past four years, rapper and singer Future has been remaking rap in his unique image.Future Makes Us Rethink Everything We Thought We Knew About Rap Artists
December 15, 2014
Byrne's voice isn't a singer's voice—it doesn't have the resonance.The Stacks: Pauline Kael's Talking Heads Obsession
November 22, 2014
Well, Beyoncé Platinum is rumored to include a remix featuring the singer.Beyonce’s New “7/11” and “Ring Off” Will Give You Reason to Live (And Dance)
November 21, 2014
The “Follow Your Arrow” singer won big at the CMAs on country.Is This Country Star the New Wendy Davis?
November 8, 2014
I see myself a singer of simple songs, a laureate of the under-dog.Ballads of a Bohemian
Robert W. Service
But why did you never tell me your sister was such an awful swell of a singer?
It was no wonder, especially when he saw who the singer was, that he should lose his temper.
It is not every singer that could keep Time with his voice and instrument, for a whole evening.Time's Portraiture
If the singer isn't celebrated, just say that she shows promise of development!The Foolish Lovers
St. John G. Ervine
- a person who sings, esp one who earns a living by singing
- a singing bird
- an obsolete word for poet
- Isaac Bashevis. 1904–91, US writer of Yiddish novels and short stories; born in Poland. His works include Satan in Goray (1935), The Family Moscat (1950), the autobiographical In my Father's Court (1966), and The King of the Fields (1989): Nobel prize for literature 1978
- Isaac Merrit. 1811–75, US inventor, who originated and developed an improved chain-stitch sewing machine (1852)
Word Origin and History for singer
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper