adjective, strong·er [strawng-ger, strong-] /ˈstrɔŋ gər, ˈstrɒŋ-/, strong·est [strawng-gist, strong-] /ˈstrɔŋ gɪst, ˈstrɒŋ-/.
- (of Germanic verbs) having vowel change in the root in inflected forms, as the English verbs sing, sang, sung; ride, rode, ridden.
- (of Germanic nouns and adjectives) inflected with endings that are generally distinctive of case, number, and gender, as German alter Mann “old man.”
- belonging to the morphophonemically less regular of two inflectional subtypes.
FOR POSTERITY’S SAKE, TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for strong
Origin of strong
SYNONYMS FOR strong
ANTONYMS FOR strong
OTHER WORDS FROM strong
Words nearby strong
Example sentences from the Web for strongish
Then Peter said that this was all very well, but could he carry in his arms a strongish man who was unwilling to be so carried?Boris the Bear-Hunter|Fred Whishaw
This is a strongish trowelful, thrown on direct, with adroitness; and even this has a kind of sincerity.History of Friedrich II. of Prussia, Vol. XI. (of XXI.)|Thomas Carlyle
It was very dark, with a strongish breeze blowing down the river.Hurricane Hurry|W.H.G. Kingston
And there is a rope in the donkey-cart—a strongish one, I think.The Heiress of Wyvern Court|Emilie Searchfield
It enjoys a strongish loam, and a slightly shaded situation will conduce to its lengthened flowering, and also tend to luxuriance.
British Dictionary definitions for strongish
adjective stronger (ˈstrɒŋɡə) or strongest (ˈstrɒŋɡɪst)
- (postpositive) containing or having a specified numbera navy 40 000 strong
- (in combination)a 40 000-strong navy
- denoting or belonging to a class of verbs, in certain languages including the Germanic languages, whose conjugation shows vowel gradation, as sing, sang, sung
- belonging to any part-of-speech class, in any of various languages, whose inflections follow the less regular of two possible patternsCompare weak (def. 10)
Derived forms of strongstrongish, adjectivestrongly, adverbstrongness, noun
Word Origin for strong
Idioms and Phrases with strongish
In addition to the idioms beginning with strong
- strong point
- strong silent type
- strong suit
- come on strong