- of or relating to a unit or units.
- of, pertaining to, characterized by, or aiming toward unity: the unitary principles of nationalism.
- of the nature of a unit; having the indivisible character of a unit; whole.
- serving as a unit, as of measurement or estimation.
- of or relating to the use of units: A unitary method was applied.
- Government. of or relating to a system of government in which the executive, legislative, and judicial powers of each state in a body of states are vested in a central authority.
Origin of unitary
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for unitary
The image of Israel as a unitary, inflexibly anti-peace body is not borne out by the legislative facts.Israel's Political Process Sabotages Peace Efforts, But There Is A Constituency For Peace
November 7, 2013
This will also upset people supporting the creation of a single, unitary state—Jewish, Palestinian, or otherwise.Two States With Open Borders
March 13, 2013
In his U.N. speech, he spoke about “the medieval forces of radical Islam” as a unitary actor.Netanyahu Falsely Likens Israeli-Iranian Relations to the Cold War
September 28, 2012
In particular, there appears to be little hope for any unitary concept of subjective well-being.Daniel Kahneman Talks Intuition and Optimism With Sam Harris
November 30, 2011
One typical and technical exchange with a British economist focuses on “the problems posed for the U.K. by the unitary tax issue.”A Governor's Private Letters
June 5, 2010
Everything was unitary and independent of everything else in this society.The Psychology of Nations
A unitary effect cannot be the result of two independent causes.
The first is impossible because the unitary world must be due to one agent.
Consciousness is unitary, though containing the thinker, ii.Plotinos: Complete Works, v. 4
That unitary principle you have found in what goes by the general name of Insanity.Post-Impressions
- of a unit or units
- based on or characterized by unity
- individual; whole
- of or relating to a system of government in which all governing authority is held by the central governmentCompare federal
Word Origin and History for unitary
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper