- the 25th letter of the English alphabet, a semivowel.
- any spoken sound represented by the letter Y or y, as in yet, city, or rhythm.
- something having the shape of a Y.
- a written or printed representation of the letter Y or y.
- a device, as a printer's type, for reproducing the letter Y or y.
Also called ys
- one septillionth (10-24) of a second. Abbreviation: ysec, ys
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ys
There ys no token of rayn: for the cloudes be both fayr and clere.Shakespeare Jest-Books;
As here ae, and io, let them cut into halfes the right lines uy, and ys.
But the perpendicular uy, is equall to ys; because each of them is the double of yo.
For withyn London he ys next unto the kyng in all maner thynge.The Story of London
Henry B. Wheatley
Ten such sittings and my 'King of Ys' will have its day with the world.The Trespasser, Complete
- The symbol for yttrium.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.