The astrological sign for people born between April 20–May 20 is Taurus, the bull constellation. Taurus is the second sign of the zodiac, following Aries, but it is one of the oldest identified constellations known to man. To many ancient civilizations, the bull represented love, war, and strength.
Taurus is an Earth sign, meaning it is connected with all things grounded, material, and solid—which makes sense for a bull. But bulls, while strong, also have a reputation for being stubborn. In short, Tauruses make loyal friends and fearsome enemies.
What is a Taurus?
The word Taurus comes from the Latin word for “bull.” You might be familiar with the word minotaur, the half-man, half-bull from Greco-Roman mythology. Stories about mythical bulls stretch back to at least the Copper Age (5000 BCE), if not further. The Taurus constellation itself was used for millennia to mark the March equinox.
The story of the constellation itself comes to us from Ancient Greek mythology. According to the Greeks, the god Zeus fell for the princess Europa and so turned himself into a magnificent white bull. The princess, captivated, got on the back of the bull who, of course, kidnapped her. Zeus then put the image of the bull in the stars.
The best things about being a Taurus
Tauruses are said to share a lot of the qualities with the bull that is their symbol. Some of the most positive traits include:
- Tenacious: The flip side of stubbornness (a more negative, yet common, Taurus trait) is tenaciousness. When it’s working for you and not against you, it’s a great quality. Being tenacious helps in all aspects of life, from problem solving to goal setting. Famous Tauruses like Jerry Seinfeld, Adele, and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson are all testament to the power of being tenacious.
- Endurance: Along with being tenacious, Taurus is in it for the long haul. Like a bull, they are capable of putting in a lot of hard work and hanging in there. This is a great quality to have when faced with challenges that require work over a long period of time.
- Sensuality: Like Zeus in the Greek myth, people born under the sign of Taurus are said to be particularly amorous and romantic. Sensuality is connected with lust, physical touch, and desire. In other words, Tauruses are lovers.
- Devotion: Bulls are strong, proud animals that work humbly alongside people. When it comes to people born under the sign of Taurus, they are said to be devoted to “their people.” Known for their loyalty, Tauruses are good to have on a team.
- Passionate: This final quality could either be a plus or a minus, depending on the situation. Taurus is said to be particularly passionate. Sometimes, this might manifest as a quick temper. But in a better light, passion is what gives Tauruses the drive and conviction to create change or accomplish difficult tasks.
The downside of a Taurus
Taurus, along with Gemini, is one of the most-maligned signs of the zodiac. This reputation isn’t fair—as we can see above, Taurus is associated with many positive and desirable traits. However, Tauruses have a few not-so-great qualities. Like their namesake the bull, they can get themselves into trouble. Here are a few adjectives that describe the downside of a Taurus:
- Obstinate: Another, less polite, way of saying “tenacious” is obstinate. When Tauruses make up their mind to do (or not do) something, there is little you can say to talk them out of it. This quality can be frustrating, especially when it’s your task to persuade them to do something they’re not interested in.
- Contentious: Taurus is known for occasionally stirring up trouble, especially when asked by authority figures like teachers or bosses to do a task they don’t want to do. In this situation, the generally devoted Taurus is moved to argue or otherwise make their position (and disinterest) known.
- Apathetic: Like Ferdinand the Bull from the children’s story, Taurus is known for being low key. Sometimes, though, they’re a little too laid back. If a Taurus isn’t interested in something, they are willing to just go with the flow and may not make much effort to learn more. This can make it difficult to focus on classes or tasks that are outside their wheelhouse.
- Covetous: Taurus is an Earth sign, meaning that it is connected with all things material. Sometimes that can mean they like material things a little bit too much. Tauruses are said to sometimes have an overly possessive attitude toward the people and objects in their life.
- Slothful: Much like a stubborn bull, a Taurus who decides they don’t want to do something will be unmoved. Sometimes this manifests as extreme laziness. However, if a Taurus can channel their stubbornness in a positive direction, they can become an unstoppable force of nature.
Some Tauruses show more of these particular traits than others. After all, they have to decide whether to use their strength and determination for good … or to cause some trouble for the people around them.
If you’re lucky enough to count a Taurus as a family member or friend, consider these descriptions. Do these words seem to describe the Taurus in your life? For more fun, review our Taurus word list, which can be used to create spelling quizzes and flashcards. You can also beef up your Taurus knowledge by taking a quiz on these traits.
WATCH: How Well Do You Know The Signs Of The Zodiac?