- to make a formal beginning of; initiate; commence; begin: The end of World War II inaugurated the era of nuclear power.
- to induct into office with formal ceremonies; install.
- to introduce into public use by some formal ceremony: Airmail service between Washington, D.C., and New York City was inaugurated in 1918.
Origin of inaugurate
Examples from the Web for inaugurate
The hiring seemed to inaugurate a détente between Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell.Top Aide to Mitch McConnell Linked to Shady Deal
August 29, 2014
Sweden was the first European country to inaugurate a dedicated LGBT retirement facility, which was opened in Stockholm in 2013.Spain Is Getting Its First LGBT Retirement Center
Barbie Latza Nadeau
April 20, 2014
Each time we gather to inaugurate a president, we bear witness to the enduring strength of our Constitution.Full Text of President Obama's Inaugural Address
January 21, 2013
In line with this growth, the Peruvian author is the first Nobel laureate invited to inaugurate the fair.Welcome to the World Book Capital
April 25, 2011
So where does this all aim once we inaugurate our new president?How My Party Found God
December 15, 2008
Disobedience has never been a fault amongst us, and I am sure you will not be the one to inaugurate it.The Channings
Mrs. Henry Wood
I think I can't do better than inaugurate my new 'ism' by lunching there to-day.Cleo The Magnificent
It had occurred to Fouchard to inaugurate a traffic with them.The Downfall
They went off with Jim, to raise the other plantation hands, and inaugurate the hunt.Among the Pines
James R. Gilmore
If it did not inaugurate, it at least prepared the way for the decline.Christianity and Greek Philosophy
Benjamin Franklin Cocker
- to commence officially or formally; initiate
- to place in office formally and ceremonially; induct
- to open ceremonially; dedicate formallyto inaugurate a factory
Word Origin and History for inaugurate
c.1600, a back-formation from inauguration and also from Latin inauguratus, past participle of inaugurare (see inauguration). Related: Inaugurated; inaugurating.