- a person who is in charge of the maintenance of a building, estate, etc.; superintendent.
- a person or group that temporarily performs the duties of an office.
- British. a janitor.
- a person who takes care of another.
- involving the temporary performance of the duties of an office: a caretaker government.
Origin of caretaker
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for caretaker
Police say she fled to Florida and became a caretaker of an elderly man.The Mystery Woman Who Tried to Outdo Dillinger
September 29, 2014
The film, however, makes Asher a pilot and Fiona a caretaker to the newborns—seemingly innocuous decisions that become meaningful.Why 'The Giver' Movie Will Disappoint the Book's Fans
August 15, 2014
But Suthep is effectively a third political stakeholder—and he seems to be ruling out any caretaker role for Yingluck.
Yingluck says her administration will remain in power as a caretaker government.
Hamdallah is now caretaker prime minister—and “caretaker” seems like an appropriate term for his position.As Peace Talks Progress, Palestinian Authority’s Popularity Plummets
August 30, 2013
Mrs. Elwood tells me that she informed the caretaker yesterday of our coming.Grace Harlowe's Return to Overton Campus
Jessie Graham Flower
This caretaker was a man, but with all the housekeeping ability of a woman.Quaint Courtships
He went to the factory, demanded his children, and assaulted the caretaker.Adventures and Recollections
Bill o'th' Hoylus End
The house was shut up, and the caretaker had mislaid her address.Audrey Craven
I engaged him to be the foreman of our lightermen, and caretaker of our jetty.Nostromo: A Tale of the Seaboard
- a person who is in charge of a place or thing, esp in the owner's absencethe caretaker of a school
- (modifier) holding office temporarily; interima caretaker government
- social welfare a person who takes care of a vulnerable person, often a close relativeSee also carer
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012