- a simple past tense of forbid.
- to command (a person) not to do something, have something, etc., or not to enter some place: to forbid him entry to the house.
- to prohibit (something); make a rule or law against: to forbid the use of lipstick; to forbid smoking.
- to hinder or prevent; make impossible.
- to exclude; bar: Burlesque is forbidden in many cities.
Origin of forbid
SynonymsSee more synonyms for forbid on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for forbade
In 2011, Florida Governor Rick Scott signed a NRA-sponsored law that forbade pediatricians from asking about guns in the home.Pediatricians Take on the NRA Over Gun Safety
May 15, 2014
Hamas first forbade women from riding on the back of motorcycles, and then from riding on them at all.Hamas: The Palestinian Fashion Police
April 9, 2013
Often they forbade firearms altogether within the limits of a city.The Roots of Anti-Government Gun Culture in America
March 24, 2013
As an epidemiologist and my mom, what were some things you forbade my sister and me from eating as kids?Be Afraid of Your Food: An Epidemiologist’s Sensible Advice
March 16, 2013
His ex-wife knew about his doping, and forbade him from continuing.8 Juiciest Bits From Night Two of Lance and Oprah
January 19, 2013
He stormed and swore, and forbade Elizabeth ever coming in his sight again.The Little Colonel
Annie Fellows Johnston
At Northampton, Stephen Langton met him, and forbade his violence.Cameos from English History, from Rollo to Edward II
Charlotte Mary Yonge
Your tender age, the difference of rank, forbade your union.Alice, or The Mysteries, Complete
But Wyrd forbade him to seize any more of men on earth after that evening.Beowulf
There was something about his manner which forbade any further questioning on Wrayson's part.The Avenger
E. Phillips Oppenheim
- the past tense of forbid
- to prohibit (a person) in a forceful or authoritative manner (from doing something or having something)
- to make impossible; hinder
- to shut out or exclude
- God forbid! may it not happen
Word Origin and History for forbade
past tense of forbid.
Idioms and Phrases with forbade
see god forbid.