- to command (a person) not to do something, have something, etc., or not to enter some place: to forbid him entry to the house.
- to prohibit (something); make a rule or law against: to forbid the use of lipstick; to forbid smoking.
- to hinder or prevent; make impossible.
- to exclude; bar: Burlesque is forbidden in many cities.
Origin of forbid
Synonyms for forbidSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for forbidprevent, censor, freeze, deprive, enjoin, cancel, exclude, restrain, hinder, halt, proscribe, stop, inhibit, disallow, impede, restrict, deny, preclude, oppose, ban
Examples from the Web for forbid
Contemporary Examples of forbid
It is an article of faith with this man that there won't be any unruly behavior or, God forbid, any scenes.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days
December 13, 2014
I would be cautious to even pick them up and God forbid I take them home.The Winning Gay Subtlety of ‘Hello Mr.’
September 26, 2014
You can stab a woman multiple times with a knife to become a man, but God forbid you sleep with her.A Fantasy Titan Invades the YA Kingdom
July 18, 2014
“You go to Heritage, God forbid,” he says of the conservative think tank.Ralph Nader and Grover Norquist: Washington’s Most Unlikely Bromance
May 23, 2014
If, God forbid, we were ever not to be together, I respect him so much as the father of my children.Why Did Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin Split Six Days After Closing On A $14M Mansion?
March 26, 2014
Historical Examples of forbid
How often, Clary, must I forbid your unsisterly reflections?
I suppose you will write to the oddities, since you are forbid to see them.
Will he deny me the visits of my dearest friend, and forbid me to correspond with her?
For they were in hopes of prevailing upon my father to forbid his visits.
I forbid you, on pain of death, to make any more attempts to get the Golden Fleece.Tanglewood Tales
- to prohibit (a person) in a forceful or authoritative manner (from doing something or having something)
- to make impossible; hinder
- to shut out or exclude
- God forbid! may it not happen
Word Origin for forbid
see god forbid.