- to increase to the greatest possible amount or degree: to look for ways of maximizing profit.
- to represent at the highest possible estimate; magnify: He maximized his importance in the program, minimizing the contributions of the other participants.
- to make the greatest or fullest use of: Maximize your time by planning ahead.
Also especially British, max·i·mise.
Origin of maximize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for maximizationdevelopment, raise, merger, hike, rise, upsurge, expansion, surge, upturn, inflation, gain, increment, boost, escalation, swelling, accession, breakthrough, aggrandizement, upgrade, access
- (tr) to make as high or great as possible; increase to a maximum
- maths to find the maximum of (a function)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
1802, noun of action from maximize.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper