- implements, utensils, or other articles for service: I'll wash the breakfast things.
- personal possessions or belongings: Pack your things and go!
- something that is correct or fashionable: That café is the thing now.
- that which is expedient or necessary: The thing to do is to tell them the truth.
DON’T VACILLATE! VANQUISH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Idioms for thing
- to be unable to obtain information or news from: The police couldn't get a thing out of him.
- to fail to appreciate, understand, or derive aesthetic pleasure from: My wife likes opera, but I don't get a thing out of it.
Origin of thing1
Definition for thing (2 of 2)
Origin of thing2
Example sentences from the Web for thing
Since I had visited two years prior, this time I wanted to spice things up and go backcountry camping.
We keep our finances separate, but split rent and expenses evenly, and I can’t afford to cover things myself.How to Show Your Partner Support—and Stay Realistic|Blair Braverman|July 18, 2020|Outside Online
We’re just inundated with this cultural message that these people will do the right thing.
This is maybe a smaller example in the bigger scheme of things, but I believe that everything starts with what you can control.‘We want people to feel included’: Verizon CMO Diego Scotti on the importance of equality in hiring|Kristina Monllos|June 9, 2020|Digiday
I am a firm believer that there’s no such thing as a fixed marketing budget.‘You’re not going to get it all right’: IBM CMO Michelle Peluso on managing through a crisis|Kristina Monllos|June 5, 2020|Digiday
British Dictionary definitions for thing (1 of 2)
Word Origin for thing
British Dictionary definitions for thing (2 of 2)
Word Origin for thing
Idioms and Phrases with thing
In addition to the idiom beginning with thing
- thing or two
- things are looking up
- all the rage (thing)
- all things to all men
- amount to the same thing
- do one's thing
- first thing
- first things first
- for one (thing)
- get (a thing) going
- get into the swing of things
- greatest thing since sliced bread
- have a good thing going
- have a thing about
- just one of those things
- know all the answers (a thing or two)
- little knowledge is a dangerous thing
- near thing
- no such thing
- not know beans (the first thing)
- of all things
- other things being equal
- seeing things
- sure thing
- the latest (thing)
- the thing
- the thing is
- too much of a good thing
- very thing