The ninth, fiery sign of the zodiac, Sagittarius, begins November 22 and lasts until December 21. Sagittarius is ruled by the planet Jupiter and is also a mutable fire sign, meaning it is one “of the three astrological signs, Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius, that are grouped together because of the shared attributes of enthusiasm, vitality, and interest in spiritual things.” The mutable part signals that Sagittarians can also be adaptable.
Take a look at some of the famous people born under the Sagittarius sign, and you may start to recognize the qualities that describe them a bit better: Miley Cyrus, Tina Turner, Bill Nye, Anna Faris, Chrissy Teigen, Zoe Kravitz, Sarah Silverman, Janelle Monae, Britney Spears, Jay-Z, Tyra Banks, Margaret Cho, Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, Brad Pitt, and more. Got any ideas yet?
What does Sagittarius mean?
Represented by an archer, the constellation Sagittarius lies between Scorpius and Capricornus. The constellation Sagittarius was first documented by Ptolemy in the 2nd century. In astrology, the mythical story of Sagittarius has a little bit more to it: not only was he an archer, but he was actually a centaur, or “one of a race of monsters having the head, trunk, and arms of a man, and the body and legs of a horse.” The story also describes Sagittarius shooting Scorpio the Scorpion with his arrow. Given this origin story, it makes sense the Sagittarius emoji ♐ depicts an arrow.
The word Sagittarius dates back to 1350–1400 in Middle English but ultimately derives from the Latin word sagittārius meaning “archer.”
Those are just some of the facts that hint at our beloved Sagittarians, though. Here are some words that likely come to mind when you think about a Sagittarius you know.
Positive words to describe a Sagittarius
Sagittarians are self-sufficient, independent, and free; they’re paving their own way and don’t care if you’re joining them or not. Here are some other words that describe those born under the Sagittarius sign.
- Trailblazer: Both figuratively and literally, Sagittarians are open to trying ideas that other people aren’t so keen on themselves. They also literally blaze trails around the world, giving into wanderlust and chasing adventure whenever they get the chance.
- Innovative: Often called storytellers, Sagittarians are creative and know no limits when it comes to their imagination and mind. If you want someone who can think outside of the box and come up with a new product or plan for your company, look no further than a Sagittarius.
- Sanguine: This word embodies a couple great traits of any person born under the Sagittarius sign: optimistic, confident, hopeful. Sagittarians often have a sunny view of the world and of the challenges they face; plus their confident attitude gets them through most things without taking a blow to the ego or their optimism.
- Veracious: Sagittarians are nothing but honest, and, for the most part, that’s a good thing! Not only do they seek the truth through knowledge, fact checking, and research, but they also tell the truth, the brutal truth even, because they honor it so much.
The challenges of a Sagittarius
Of course, Sagittarians aren’t perfect. They tend to possess some traits that get in their way. Here are words that describe those attributes.
- Frank: Also called blunt, Sagittarians tell it like it is. Earlier, we mentioned this can be a good quality (veracious), but sometimes it borders on the bad, especially when the brutal truth hurts someone else’s feelings.
- Condescending: Because Sagittarians are always seeking knowledge and facts, they tend to know a lot of things and they tend to ask a lot of questions. Sometimes those questions can seem like poking and prodding, and it can make others feel like they’re the ones being questioned about what they know. That’s not usually the case; but beware the truth seeker and their never-ending quest for that source.
- Boundless: Having no boundaries may not seem like a bad thing outright, but living with someone who has no boundaries may cause tension. Because Sagittarians hate to be tied down, boundaries often feel very restrictive to these lil’ archers. Sometimes this can also lead to describing Sagittarians as unpredictable.
- Impatient: Because Sagittarians are always seeking the truth and blazing trails (we’ve mentioned this many times now), they are also often impatient with others who aren’t as excited to jump on the adventurer bandwagon. Those of us who are a bit more reserved or cautious can frustrate a Sagittarius … and they don’t always see things from that other perspective.
WATCH: How Well Do You Know The Signs Of The Zodiac?
Sound about right?
Astrology signs certainly don’t predetermine a person’s personality nor prevent someone from changing. But astrology can be fascinatingly accurate when it comes to nailing down the particular traits of those born under the signs of the zodiac. How many of the words above describe a Sagittarius you know? For more word fun, review our Sagittarius word list, which can be used to create spelling quizzes and flashcards. Or take our quick Sagittarius quiz for some thrills.