- to direct the offense of (a team).
- to lead or direct: to quarterback a public-relations campaign.
- to play the position of quarterback.
Origin of quarterback
Related Words for quarterbackingforce, attend, get, manage, drive, see, show, head, move, prompt, serve, contribute, draw, introduce, bring, tailor, organize, determine, prepare, schedule
Examples from the Web for quarterbacking
Contemporary Examples of quarterbacking
- a player in American or Canadian football, positioned usually behind the centre, who directs attacking play
- Monday-morning quarterbacking wisdom after the event, esp by spectators
in U.S. football, 1876, from quarter (n.) + back (n.); so called from his position on the field at the start of play, between the halfback and the center. As a verb from 1945. Figurative sense from 1952. Monday morning quarterback is 1932 (n.), 1972 (v.); originally pro football player slang for sportswriters (U.S. professional football games typically are played on Sundays).