- the second power of a quantity, expressed as a2 = a × a, where a is the quantity.
- a quantity that is the second power of another: Four is the square of two.
verb (used with object), squared, squar·ing.
- to multiply (a number or quantity) by itself; raise to the second power.
- to describe or find a square that is equivalent in area to: to square a circle.
verb (used without object), squared, squar·ing.
adjective, squar·er, squar·est.
- Nautical. to arrange the yards so as to sail before the wind.
- to prepare; get ready: Square away for dinner.
- to assume a position of defense or offense: The wrestlers squared away for the first fall.
- to organize or complete satisfactorily; put in order: I want to square away the work before going on vacation.
- to assume a posture of defense or offense, as in boxing: They squared off for a fight.
- to prepare to dispute with another; show signs of opposition or resistance: The governor and the legislature are squaring off over the landfill issue.
TAKE THIS QUIZ TO SEE WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT 2ND-3RD GRADE VOCAB FROM BOOKS!
Idioms for square
- at right angles.
- Informal. straightforward; honest; just: Their dealings with us have always been on the square.
- not at right angles.
- not in agreement; incorrect; irregular: The inspector's conclusions are out of square with his earlier report.
Origin of square
OTHER WORDS FROM square
Words nearby square
Example sentences from the Web for squares
Now, the smooth-faced look like the creepy ones, the squares.Leo, the Beard Has to Go: When a Man’s Facial Hair Reaches Crisis Point|Tim Teeman|September 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
A man-made code that squares with the moral law, or the law of God, is a just law.Alex Haley’s 1965 Playboy Interview with Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.|Alex Haley|January 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
And were the elite police sharpshooters stationed on the rooftops overlooking Nahda and Rabaa squares acting in self-defense?
He had drawn all the squares for the story, and had sketched in some of the characters.
The authorities rejected all six squares requested for the demonstration.Ilya Yashin & Ksenia Sobchak, the Russian Opposition’s Romeo & Juliet|Anna Nemtsova|December 17, 2012|DAILY BEAST
The square and cubic units are the squares and cubes of the linear units.Soap-Making Manual|E. G. Thomssen
For serving, cut into squares, and dust them over with castor sugar.The Skilful Cook|Mary Harrison
But he has other offices; he is the god of streets and squares, the god of commerce, of theft, and of eloquence.History Of Ancient Civilization|Charles Seignobos
The first night's generally rather unsettled, but you'll be set all squares to-morrow.'The Pickwick Papers|Charles Dickens
A field divided into squares or checkers formed checky, and when divided into what are now called lozenges it became lozengy.Heraldry for Craftsmen & Designers|William Henry St. John Hope
British Dictionary definitions for squares
- at right angles
- on equal terms
- informal honestly and openly
- slang a phrase identifying someone as a Freemasonhe is on the square
- not at right angles or not having a right angle
- not in order or agreement
- (prenominal) denoting a measure of area of any shapea circle of four square feet
- (immediately postpositive) denoting a square having a specified length on each sidea board four feet square contains 16 square feet
verb (mainly tr)
Derived forms of squaresquareness, nounsquarer, nounsquarish, adjective
Word Origin for square
Scientific definitions for squares
Cultural definitions for squares
A number multiplied by itself, or raised to the second power. The square of three is nine; the square of nine is eighty-one.
Idioms and Phrases with squares
In addition to the idioms beginning with square
- square away
- square deal
- square meal, a
- square off
- square one's shoulders
- square peg in a round hole
- square the circle
- square up
- square with
- back to the drawing board (square one)
- fair and square
- on the square
- round peg in a square hole
- shoot straight (square)