- the second power of a quantity, expressed as a2 = a × a, where a is the quantity.
- a quantity that is the second power of another: Four is the square of two.
verb (used with object), squared, squar·ing.
- to multiply (a number or quantity) by itself; raise to the second power.
- to describe or find a square that is equivalent in area to: to square a circle.
verb (used without object), squared, squar·ing.
adjective, squar·er, squar·est.
- Nautical. to arrange the yards so as to sail before the wind.
- to prepare; get ready: Square away for dinner.
- to assume a position of defense or offense: The wrestlers squared away for the first fall.
- to organize or complete satisfactorily; put in order: I want to square away the work before going on vacation.
- to assume a posture of defense or offense, as in boxing: They squared off for a fight.
- to prepare to dispute with another; show signs of opposition or resistance: The governor and the legislature are squaring off over the landfill issue.
THINK YOU’VE GOT A HANDLE ON THIS US STATE NICKNAME QUIZ?
Idioms for square
- at right angles.
- Informal. straightforward; honest; just: Their dealings with us have always been on the square.
- not at right angles.
- not in agreement; incorrect; irregular: The inspector's conclusions are out of square with his earlier report.
Origin of square
OTHER WORDS FROM square
Example sentences from the Web for square
The street is closed to traffic and kids run unfettered across inviting hopscotch squares and bicycle lanes.Allah, Mom, and Baklava: Turkish President Uses Mothers and Kids as Political Pawns|Xanthe Ackerman|November 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Venetians sip their coffee in quiet squares and walk their dogs along the waterfront with nary a tourist in sight.After the Wedding: George Clooney and Amal Alamuddin in Venice|Barbie Latza Nadeau|September 28, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Now, the smooth-faced look like the creepy ones, the squares.Leo, the Beard Has to Go: When a Man’s Facial Hair Reaches Crisis Point|Tim Teeman|September 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Even the watermelon he serves me is in keeping with a certain aesthetic—perfectly arranged squares, like a Mondrian painting.Gosta Peterson's Bohemian Rhapsody: Unpacking a Photographer's '60s Secrets|Lizzie Crocker|September 10, 2014|DAILY BEAST
There could also be wireless-free areas of libraries, coffee shops, public squares, and office buildings.
Troops are now stationed every where round the country, which exactly squares with my ideas.
In vain the French cavalry charged the English squares, still unshaken by artillery and infantry fire.Napoleon's Marshals|R. P. Dunn-Pattison
I don't suppose he lies;—he sells it to the editor, who knows how many squares off "Sumatra" is.
The brown loaf was cut by a very excited little hostess into five thick squares; the cheese into four.The Box-Car Children|Gertrude Chandler Warner
Their view extended down the hillside divided into brown and green squares of cultivated fields.Honey-Bee|Anatole France
British Dictionary definitions for square
- at right angles
- on equal terms
- informal honestly and openly
- slang a phrase identifying someone as a Freemasonhe is on the square
- not at right angles or not having a right angle
- not in order or agreement
- (prenominal) denoting a measure of area of any shapea circle of four square feet
- (immediately postpositive) denoting a square having a specified length on each sidea board four feet square contains 16 square feet
verb (mainly tr)
Derived forms of squaresquareness, nounsquarer, nounsquarish, adjective
Word Origin for square
Scientific definitions for square
Cultural definitions for square
A number multiplied by itself, or raised to the second power. The square of three is nine; the square of nine is eighty-one.
Idioms and Phrases with square
In addition to the idioms beginning with square
- square away
- square deal
- square meal, a
- square off
- square one's shoulders
- square peg in a round hole
- square the circle
- square up
- square with
- back to the drawing board (square one)
- fair and square
- on the square
- round peg in a square hole
- shoot straight (square)