- the process of identifying or detecting the presence of a constituent of a substance, or of determining the nature of a substance, commonly by the addition of a reagent.
- the reagent used.
- an indication or evidence of the presence of a constituent, or of the nature of a substance, obtained by such means.
Origin of test1
synonym study for test
OTHER WORDS FROM test
Other definitions for test (2 of 4)
Origin of test2
Other definitions for test (3 of 4)
Other definitions for test (4 of 4)
How to use test in a sentence
The gentleman was listed as Orthodox and kosher, which is way too religious for my friend whose JSwipe account I was test-driving.
Apparently, the company “failed to properly test its systems.”
If it was the United States, the operation will test the bounds of international law.
One chemical test involves measuring the relative amount of deuterium in water.
Whether it was actual ignorance, senility, or some obscure test, it's hard to know.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days|David Freeman|December 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
For this use of the voice in the special service of will-power, or propelling force, it is necessary first to test its freedom.Expressive Voice Culture|Jessie Eldridge Southwick
The most promising of the methods which have been devised are cryoscopy, the methylene-blue test, and the phloridzin test.
The phloridzin test consists in the hypodermic injection of a small quantity of phloridzin.
Should the vapor not condense well, the test-tube may be immersed in a glass of cold water.
It is at best an empirical test and must be interpreted in the light of clinical symptoms.
British Dictionary definitions for test (1 of 2)
- a chemical reaction or physical procedure for testing a substance, material, etc
- a chemical reagent used in such a procedurelitmus is a test for acids
- the result of the procedure or the evidence gained from itthe test for alcohol was positive
Derived forms of testtestable, adjectivetestability, nountesting, adjective
Word Origin for test
British Dictionary definitions for test (2 of 2)
Word Origin for test
Medical definitions for test
Other Idioms and Phrases with test
see acid test; put to the test.