- a determining agent or factor.
- Mathematics. an algebraic expression of the sum of products of elements, each with an appropriate algebraic sign, usually written in a square array and used in the solution of systems of linear equations.
- Also called antigenic determinant, epitope. Immunology. any site on an antigen molecule at which an antibody can bind, the chemical structure of the site determining the specific combining antibody.
- Genetics Archaic. a gene.
Origin of determinant
Related Words for determinantunambiguous, precise, undeniable, convincing, indisputable, compelling, unmistakable, decisive, irrefutable, irrevocable, motivation, stimulus, impetus, encouragement, reason, enticement, emotion, impulse, influence, idea
Examples from the Web for determinant
Contemporary Examples of determinant
Political pressure, economic resources and the ability to navigate into a Kafkaesque bureaucracy play a determinant role.In Italy, Religious Minorities Struggle (Vainly) for Official Recognition
November 14, 2013
On 11 August 1947, he told the soon-to-be born nation that religion was not the determinant of Pakistani nationalism.Why Pakistan's Mohammed Ali Jinnah Was No Nelson Mandela
April 7, 2013
All seem to agree that Goldstone was a determinant of Israel's relatively restrained attack against Hamas this time around.On Gaza, Goldstone And Israeli Strategy Regarding Terrorist Enclaves
December 13, 2012
Historical Examples of determinant
We have already indicated that soil is a determinant in the choice of varieties.Apple Growing
M. C. Burritt
For it is not a principle of the determinant but merely of the reflective Judgement.
It belongs therefore to the reflective and not to the determinant judgement.
Decomposition of a Determinant into complementary Determinants.
If that proportion is altered, so also is the character of the determinant.On Germinal Selection as a Source of Definite Variation
- serving to determine or affect
- a factor, circumstance, etc, that influences or determines
- maths a square array of elements that represents the sum of certain products of these elements, used to solve simultaneous equations, in vector studies, etcCompare matrix (def. 9)
c.1600 (adj.); 1680s (n.), from Latin determinantem (nominative determinans), present participle of determinare (see determine).
- An influencing or determining element or factor.
- Antigenic determinant.
- Tending or serving to determine.