- to make as effective, perfect, or useful as possible.
- to make the best of.
- Computers. to write or rewrite (the instructions in a program) so as to maximize efficiency and speed in retrieval, storage, or execution.
- Mathematics. to determine the maximum or minimum values of (a specified function that is subject to certain constraints).
- to be optimistic.
Origin of optimize
Related Words for optimizeadvance, upgrade, develop, improve, help, reform, rise, revamp, increase, lift, progress, better, enhance, correct, revise, raise, amend, hone, polish, augment
Examples from the Web for optimize
Contemporary Examples of optimize
I optimize, automate, and outsource everything in life in order to be more effective.How To Create Your Own User Manual
February 18, 2014
Here are a few tricks to optimize your 140-character experience.7 Genius Twitter Hacks
October 15, 2013
Musk notes that careful planning would be needed to optimize the route to avoid sharp bends.Good Hyperloop News: G-forces Won't Crush You
August 14, 2013
Fadell says that the Nest can only optimize temperature control.How the Nest Thermostat Could Save the Planet
July 25, 2013
Meanwhile, you must minimize and modernize your current digs to optimize your existing quality of life.The Stars Predict Your Week
Starsky + Cox
September 10, 2011
Historical Examples of optimize
They were developed by humans seeking to optimize their activity.
Indeed, whether human beings hunt or present personal experiences to others, they attempt to optimize their efforts.
Phonetic writing, the development of the effort to optimize writing, better imitated oral language.
But the real challenge is to figure out ways to optimize the relation between what is possible and what is necessary.
They will share resources and use communication means to optimize their work.
- (tr) to take the full advantage of
- (tr) to plan or carry out (an economic activity) with maximum efficiency
- (intr) to be optimistic
- (tr) to write or modify (a computer program) to achieve maximum efficiency in storage capacity, time, cost, etc
- (tr) to find the best compromise among several often conflicting requirements, as in engineering design
1844, "to act as an optimist," back-formation from optimist. Meaning "to make the most of" is first recorded 1857. Related: Optimized; optimizing.