- Astronomy. Scorpius.
- the eighth sign of the zodiac: the fixed water sign.
- a person born under this sign, usually between October 23rd and November 21st.
Origin of Scorpio
Examples from the Web for scorpio
Scorpio Rising by R.G. Vliet One of the most scorching, incandescent romances ever.Rick Bass: The Best Books ’Bout Texas
September 17, 2013
I mean, my last book was called The Scorpio Races, after all.Maggie Stiefvater Talks New Novel ‘The Raven Boys,’ Fast Cars, and YA Fiction
September 28, 2012
Scorpio rules death, sleep and sex, all falling under the heading of regeneration.The Stars Predict Your Week
Starsky + Cox
October 29, 2011
The New Moon in Scorpio, Wednesday, opens fresh avenues for learning.
This is Scorpio: she must know your secrets, but reveals nothing.
Scorpio is, like Aries, the house of Mars, 'and also his joy.'Myths and Marvels of Astronomy
Richard A. Proctor
Mars has Aries for his day-house and Scorpio for his night-house.The Influence of the Stars
Scorpio (the Scorpion) is one of the finest of the constellations.Letters on Astronomy
I do not know how far this system is represented in Limulus or Scorpio.The Origin of Vertebrates
Walter Holbrook Gaskell
For this reason it is also said that when Scorpio rises Orion sets.The Ruins
C. F. [Constantin Francois de] Volney
- Also called: the Scorpion astrology
- the eighth sign of the zodiac, symbol ♏, having a fixed water classification and ruled by the planet Mars and the dwarf planet Pluto. The sun is in this sign between about Oct 23 and Nov 21
- a person born during a period when the sun is in this sign
- astronomy another name for Scorpius
- astrology born under or characteristic of Scorpio
Word Origin and History for scorpio
zodiacal constellation, late 14c., from Latin scorpio (poetic scorpius) "scorpion," also the zodiac constellation (see scorpion). The meaning "person born under or ruled by the sign of Scorpio" is recorded from 1968.
- A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Libra and Sagittarius. Scorpius (the Scorpion) contains the bright star Antares and is the eighth sign of the zodiac.