Just as the leaves start to turn, and the scent of apple cider begins wafting through the air, the season of Libra is upon us. Lovely Libras are those people born between September 23–October 23.
What does it mean to be a Libra?
The word Libra dates back to 1350–1400. It comes from the Latin word lībra, which means “pair of scales.” A pair of scales is also the symbol representing the Libra sign, and it signifies the overarching personality trait of Libras—a desire for balance in all aspects of their lives. In the sky, the Libra scale is the only object in the zodiac; all other signs are represented by a person or animal. The Libra emoji ♎ depicts the symbol of Libra, which resembles a setting sun or the letter omega over a straight line.
Intelligent, fair, and idealistic, there are loads of great Libras. Some famous Libras include the likes of Simon Cowell, Bruno Mars, Eminem, Julie Andrews, John Lennon, Celia Cruz, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Serena Williams. Not bad company to keep.
Wonderful words to describe Libras
There’s so much to love about Libras, but here are a few words that sum up their best characteristics.
- Diplomatic: Always trying to keep things even, Libras are diplomatic and great at finding the middle ground. So diplomatic are Libras, they often find themselves in careers as politicians. In fact, Vice President Kamala Harris happens to be a Libra.
- Charismatic: Libras love being around people, and people love being around Libras. Amiable and typically extroverted, they tend to be popular and can navigate any social situation with their grace, wit, and charm. No surprise then that actor Will Smith is a Libra.
- Clever: Quick with a joke or a quip, Libras are clever ones, indeed. They are fun to be around and make excellent party guests as they keep interesting, entertaining conversation flowing.
- Convivial: Libras don’t like to be alone, and they’re as social as can be. They crave companionship, and their peaceful, easygoing ways make them fabulous friends and romantic partners.
- Objective: If you need help settling a dispute or making a decision, Libras can often lend a hand. They seek fairness and justice in all things and may be able to help you see beyond the emotions. They make magnificent mediators.
The challenging traits of Libras
As likable as Libras are, they’re not without fault, and some of their personality traits can tip the scales toward the negative side. Here are some traits that can trip up the best Libras.
- Indecisive: Always trying to balance the scales, Libras can be hesitant to just make a decision already. Sometimes, they’re too concerned about not upsetting anyone on any side that they become hesitant and wishy-washy.
- Perfectionist: That strive for balance and harmony can go into overdrive with Libras, as they often go to great lengths to make everything right. The problem is those great lengths can often be exhausting and even unhealthy, and since perfectionism isn’t attainable, it can be a frustrating pursuit.
- Kowtowing: While it’s great when people like you, it’s simply not possible to please all people all the time. Nevertheless, Libras will try, and sometimes that means they kowtow to others, sacrificing themselves and their own wants, needs, and opinions in the pursuit to please.
- Vain: Libras love lovely things, and sometimes they preen and primp to a fault. They can be overly concerned about appearances and may put themselves on a pedestal above those who can’t keep up. They can be so vain in some cases that they may even think the song is about them.
- Vengeful: When a Libra feels they’ve been wronged, their sense of justice can overcompensate, and they may veer toward the vengeful. They may have a certain tit-for-tat mentality and have trouble letting things roll off their back.
Of course, not all Libras are alike, but we’re guessing that if you’re a Libra or you have a Libra in your life, some of these words definitely resonate. Our star signs certainly don’t always align with our full personalities, but it’s amazing just how accurate they often are.
Which words best describe the Libras in your life?